RB vs MP Rotators

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard reports that Rainbird rotators spin faster depending on pressure, while MP rotators always spin at a constant (slower) rate.

My theory is that MP is trying hard to provide a matched precipitation regardless of pressure and arc, while Rainbird doesn't seem to care.

Is there any truth to this theory?

P.S. 5000th post.

2. Congrats on the 5000th post. Probably should have let the two recent 5000 posts members jump in first but hey first see first response.

I am going to have to mull this one over. I'll do some meter readings and see if their is a noticeable flow difference at different pressures. I have one half my front yard on MPs and plan to do the other half with RB rotaries. The one thing I do like about the RBs is the angle is lower. I am in charge of designing a water smart system for a new bed being put in at the Dallas Arboretum and I'm going to use MP rotators because I can minimize waste on the sidewalk with the arc adjustment. (It is a long horseshoe bed) I'm trying to decide the best way to water the narrower annual/perennial flowers. I can't use drip. (rabbits) I'm thinking 1812s with the maxijet adapter and nozzle? I'm trying to keep overspray to an absolute minimun from the A/P bed onto the native or adaptible plants bordering the flowers. The MPs will cover everything and the spray zone will be used for flower establishment and during extreme heat.

NEED SOME THOUGHTS

3. poiuy qwerty

poiuy qwerty LawnSite Member

RB use alot of water. You can use a MP200090210 and be at only .74GPM
    you can add 1 GPM for the RB head

4. The Rain Bird rotors do spin faster and the angle is lower like Peter stated. Also it seems the Rain Birds have more streams of water than the MP's. I like the Rain Birds over the Mp's on short distances and MP's for longer distances.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting observation LR. I've not been overly pleased with the 1000s and have cut the spacings to achieve better coverage. Maybe I'll pick up a few of the RBs and try them out.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We've noticed the MP 1000 series are junk, good idea, but they suffer.
    Does the R.B. rotard (I mean rotate)?:)

7. Rotates really well. So Far

8. Well I got off my lazy Sunday butt and did what I've been meaning to do for a month or so.
    Anyway here are the results of my study
    Row of 7 1804s w/15 fulls 24gpm
    changed to 17-24' RB rotaries 20gpm rotate pretty fast
    turned down flow control to a speed that stopped the fishtailing 16 gpm
    replaced w/13-18 RB rotaries at full pressure 13 gpm
    turned down flow control to speed that stopped the fishtailing 11gpm
    Left 13-18s in changed smartline to .7 inches per hour.
    I'll try with MPs another day but I'll have to use 1000 for spacing reasons and as Mike says they are disappointing.

9. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried both the RB's and the MP's. I personally prefer the MP's because they are alot more versitile, with adjustable arc and easier to use the adjustment screw.

The RB's definately spin faster. I ran into a situation where the RB's at the beginning of a zone were clearly spinning faster than the ones at the end of the zone (only about 30 ft away). I haven't noticed that with the MP's though. I think that the RB's can turn just a bit too fast though.

10. I think the RBs rotaries would definitely benefit from being on 1804 prs heads. Even the spin out.