RBG owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, May 4, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Have you found that your sharpened blades last longer when sharpened with a dedicated grinder than with a hand-held grinder?

[Edited by Stonewall on 05-04-2001 at 11:51 PM]
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think they stay sharp longer and they are much easier to sharpen.

CLARKE LawnSite Member

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I just switched to a dedicated grinder this year (after 20 years in the biz!) and I love it! I do think they seem to stay sharper longer - Anyone know why?
  5. Eric ELM

I think it is because when you sharpen with a RBG, it doesn't turn as fast and doesn't get the metal as hot. I never get hot spots on the blade now, but I used to with the 9" hand held grinder. That Ruby wheel will cut without much speed, which is nice.
  6. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

And becouse it does a better job the first time you will spend less time the next sharpening.

I love my RBG.....and yes eric that ruby wheel is great!
  7. Eric ELM

Adam, have you measured your wheel to see how much has worn off? That would be interesting. I know you have several years use on yours. I will measure mine too after a years use to see how much the ruby wore down.
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah - I was sort of thinking that it probably had to do with the speed/temp of the grinding. The RGB doesn't produce any hot spots whereas my bench grinder that I used before used to heat the blades up very easily. Thank god for this grinder. It's made life (mainentance) a lot easier. With a new baby due here any day, I really didn't want to spend all the time grinding blades that I've had to in the past.
  9. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

Myself, like the rest of you, are trying to keep an eye on the bottom line. I have noticed that almost everything in this biz, with the exception of mowers, is around $300 or a bit more.

I would like to have an RBG, but at this time I am using a 4 1/2" angle grinder. How can I justify spending that kind of money? Does it increase productivity? Does it sharpen in less time than a hand-held?

I plan on being around for a long time, so I scrutinize everything. I have no experience with an RGB and that is why I come to the experts for advice. Take it away, you salty lawn sailors!
  10. Eric ELM

Once you get all the blades to the same angle with the RBG and if you change blades each day like you should, you can sharpen a blade in less than 1 minute with the RBG. In other words, the amount of time it used to take me to just put the blade in the vise to sharpen it when I used an angle grinder, I could have the blade sharpened with my RBG.

If you let the blades get so dull they won't cut hot butter, like some LCO's around here do, I would think it would take a lot longer to sharpen them than 1 minute.

The blades seem to stay sharper long with a RBG grinder, as discussed above.

If you plan on doing this business for many years, it would be well worth your time to get a dedicated grinder like the RBG. Sliding that blade through the RBG is much easier than holding a hand held grinder. The biggest reason I got one is I have arthritus in my shoulders and it was getting so I could not sharpen blades with the 9" hand held grinder. The 4.5" took so long to do the job, but if you get a chance to get a RBG or equivalant, it would be a good investment. It should last you for many years and save you lots of time. I also feel the blades are lasting much longer using this. I don't have to take as much metal off to get them sharp.