1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swn, May 6, 2002.

1. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what length of blade will a rbg 121 sharpen? Would this be enough for me? I run 61" decks and have about 60 yards. I use a bench grinder and angle grinder now. I am sick of sharpening my blades. I hate it, it is always the last thing I want to do.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It will do them, however, the RBG wil only grind up to 6 1/2" of bevel, while the Magna-matic is infinite because the way the wheel is set up in the open. You can even do bush hog blade on this thing if you wanted to. You can also grind your mower blades up to the center if you wish. Cost comparison, you can't go wrong with the Magnamatic, either. Click on their site, and look at the comparison of the two. Don'y be decieved by a lower base price, because it's the accesories that they get you on.
  3. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information Runner. Do you ever grind your blinds up to the center? Do they give a better cut? It seems like it would have to. Thanks
  4. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

Before you buy any other grinder check out the fireball, i just bought one about 2 weeks ago . This is the most impressive grinder i have seen yet. I bought the fireball JR , stand, and the dressing tool for the stone for $750.40. Shipping was free and its worth every penny it cost .
  5. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I can see I am going to have to look into what each has to offer.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Bill.

Check out the Brandlein Machine Co's Fireball series here http://www.gpweb.net/fireball/prod03.htm

That was the one Bill bought, and this the 300C is the one that I bought http://www.gpweb.net/fireball/prod04.htm

I owned the Jr. before. Great grinder, highly recommended, better than any others out there, but for a few more bucks, you can step up to the 1HP motor and bigger 10" wheel of the 300c. I did, and it is very powerfull and well built.

They're also all designed to fully sharpen any blade, as there are no rear posts. It is supported by a 3" machined telescoping support much like a drill press.
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have the RBG-218 this is the grinder which eric talked me into buying. It is a great grinder it takes up to 9-1/2" cutting edge blades and can handel the longer beveled blades, does a wonderful job also if you get a rbg get the diamond tip dresser... Marks Mowing Service