RCJ8Y and CJ8Y?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I was changing the plugs for my Kawi's today, getting ready for cleanups (hopefully next week), and noticed the plugs I was taking off were Champion RCJ8Y plugs. My dealer gave my CJ8Y plugs- said they will fit and do the job fine. Can anyone shed some light on the difference between a RCJ8Y plug and a CJ8Y plug? Will either work in Kawi V-Twin engines?

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yea they are the same plug exept the cj8y doesnt have a resister "R" denotes resister on sparkplugs i dont know what they do but i guess lawnmowers dont need them

3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yes, the resistor is a radio interference noise suppressor. It keeps the plug from inducing noise in TVs, radios, etc.

4. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

R = Resistor Type.

They use them to reduce radio emissions. Who knows, you might end up with a buzz in your "Worktunes". Then again, it might not hurt a thing.

Q

5. 8307c4

8307c4 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Not that it's important but it is the Rj-12YC :laugh:

Very common plug, at least half my machines take it, even the truck and more than a few cars do.
    But if you want a better plug get the APP5224, that's Autolite's version, double platinum.

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Or the NGK BPR4ES

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

ericg likes this.
  8. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

While it may not have an effect on your unit, the reason that resistor plugs are used on certain pieces of OPE, is to prevent damage to the coil. The pulse WILL destroy the delicate circuitry in some units that controls the timing (advance, etc.) You will spend all your time swapping plugs checking compression, tearing apart carbs because the "pretty" blue spark is there when testing, however it will be out of time. This is true for all Dolmar and Makita (the same) Concrete saws and some other 2-Cycle OPE. So be careful.:waving:

9. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Welcome to Lawnsite S DIAMOND :drinkup:

Now that is interesting, I thought that the resistor plug was developed to eliminate interference in radio, the AM band and TV. Back in the day I can remember hearing that tic,tic,tic on my walkman when there was a regular plug in the equipment. I guess that with the electronics that is making it's way in to the industry it makes sense.

ericg likes this.
  10. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you learn that? Can you direct us to a site? Veerry Innteressting!!!