Re bar in the face

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Maple Wood, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Maple Wood

Maple Wood LawnSite Senior Member

Bad accident this evening.
    A good friend, a local LCO, was in a yard walking while another guy was running the LCO's mower. The mower (2010 sz) hit a piece of re bar in the ground and sent it flying through the air. The re bar hit this guy in the jaw and stuck through the other side. He is in surgery right now to get the re bar out. Its going to be a tough road.

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. Could have, obviously, been much worse.

3. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Man I'm currently going through EMT school and you hear about this type of situations alot. All I can say is he is lucky few inches up, death. Few inches down, neck (Carotid artery) very easy to bleed out....He will have some scars but he should live to TALK and tell that story..He's in my prayers as well.

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

and THIS is exactly why I just hate for anyone to even be in my SIGHT when I am mowing. Little old ladies like to sit on the porch and watch me. Drives me nuts. I've begged and begged with them to stay in the house. Won't listen or some cases dimensia and don't remember me asking them. I give up. I've done all I can do. Here's hoping this guy has a quick recovery. Need to remember the guy running the mower too. Sure he's going to have some guilt on his mind as well.

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely praying for the man. Police the grounds first fellas! Use the deflectors! Shut the blades down when people are on the chute side! Safety first! The safe way is the best way! Even then accidents happen.

6. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

WOW this is something we should all take seriously, keep us posted as to the condition of your partner, hate to hear stories like this.

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I shouldn't assume any of these safety practices were not adhered to, but if they are put in place, it certainly lowers the risk for an accident. My post was not made to blame the operator, but to make others aware of ways to keep us and others safe in the field.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch! I can only image what that felt like. I found a 12" long piece of rebar on one of my best kept properties recently. At the time there were people in the area but everytime I'd point the discharge towards them I closed the OCDC. I raised a little bit of a fuss with the homeowner but he had no idea how the rebar got there. It wasn't his fault but it sure scares the heck out'ta me when something like that happens.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I used to cut my grandfathers property and he liked to follow me around when I was cutting, even after telling him for over 2 years that it was dangerous. Some people just don't understand how fast and how hard something can be propelled from under a mower deck.

Hope your friend does a complete recovery.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Praying for your friend's speedy recoverery!!!

I was mowing a residential earlier this year----and ran over a corner marker(rebar)----mower tore the rebar out of the ground and threw it out to "Lordy, who knows where!!!"

Lets be careful out there!!