1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Re-charge for application if rain came

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by weissihm, Aug 25, 2011.

1. weissihm

weissihm LawnSite Member

We have a couple customers complaining their weed applications did not work. When I go back and look at the weather history I find a thunderstorm went through over night with heavy rain.

My question is, should I re-charge for an additional application or just reapply? We try to watch the weather, but when you live in Wisconsin the forcast can shange by the hour.

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If it is just a couple customers I would re-apply at no cost. Making sure to follow label instructions for re-applications. Rain should not affect an app if you sprayed during the day and it rained overnight. Do some checking on your concoction.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

DA is right. A half hour or more is usually enough to absorb herbicide. But the late summer annuals are tough to kill. It is your risk--customers don't want excuses--they want the weeds gone, for free. Spurge is most likely. Crabgrass also.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Do it n/c, the client will remember that when its time to renew & they have an estimate from a lowballer!

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

weiss

Looking from the customers point of view that is a PRETTY LAME EXCUSE for them still having weeds..............I am going stop here rather than say what everyone is thinking.

6. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I can't imagine charging one of my customers for something he had NO control over.

I've only put together a few quotes for 2012 (my 1st full season as an applicator). In each, I've budgeted 5-6 extra hours for spot-spraying. If it takes that, I'm covered. If it takes more than that.....shame on me. If it takes less, I'm a winner.

In either scenario, my customers will be taken care of.

7. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

what about those customers that irrigate imedeatly after a lawn treatment?

like it or not, this happens quite often-

i was on a property earlier this week, i hadnt even finished - i came around to the back
    trimming egdes, and they had already put the sprinklers on

but what about the others, that will chuck the leave behind paperwork in the trash without reading it, and turn on the water as soon as you leave? not there to see it

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

My job is to educate the customer as well as treat the lawn. If they are home, there is no excuse for not knocking on the door and giving them a quick rundown of what you've done and what they need to do to get the most out of their lawn treatment. So, IMO, there's no excuse for them turning on the sprinkler as soon as you pull down the street. Weather is beyond anyones control. If they have weed issues after that, make sure you are mixing/doing things properly. You also need to ask yourself how much a backpack of weed control really costs you. I think you'll find it's a lot cheaper than losing a customer over hard feelings about being charged for a respray. JMO

9. Davie Landscape

Davie Landscape LawnSite Member

Ted was spot on. Before I make apps in a customers property that has a sprinkler system, I make sure I talk with them the day before about shutting it down. If they are home, all the better, they get to have a little education while I go over the leave behind info. Riggle is right, Ive found that 45 minutes is generally all you need for set time.

Don't charge them again, that's a lose lose for everyone involved.

10. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

vencops, that's a great idea to budget for some extra hours. Next year will be my first full season as well ( have 5 customers this fall who are going to start). I think I will follow that example.