re-cut or what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaredslawnserv, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

lately some accounts want it done every 2 weeks, fine with me. i go over there and cut and it looks horrible with all the clippings everywhere. so i re-cut it and it looks better but it messed up the striping. is it worth re -cutting it to make it look better or just leave it there because they want it cut every two weeks???

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i double cut when it is really long. The second cut raise the blades a notch to disperse all the clumps

3. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

From your post it sounds like messed up striping looks better than after only one cut with grass clippings clumped up. How are you doing the second cut that the striping doesn't look good? Whenever I have to double cut I run perpendicular to the first cut on the second go around and the striping looks good. Depending on how nice the lawn is the second cut shows the checkerboard pattern. Stihl Guy is right too in raising the blades. If I come to a lawn that is too tall I will raise my blades before I start.

4. jaredslawnserv

wish i could sthil guy but i got a fixed deck.

5. jaredslawnserv

wish i could raise the deck - it would make life easier.

6. JacksonLawns

have you tried going perpendicular on the second cut to see how the striping looks?
    I cannot raise/lower my deck either but mine has spacers that can be used above or blow the blades themselves to adjust the cut level. Does your mower have spacers to use?

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Huh? Just change the spacers in the front castors? That's what they're for and it's simple. You will get some grease on your fingers hopefully but that's not a big deal. Tony

8. JacksonLawns

I have heard of doing this. I am curious how the cut is. I would think since you are only adjusting the front of the deck that it would put the blades at an angle possibly not giving as good a cut?? Am I way off on that thinking?

9. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

cuts fine like this, they're supposed to have a little pitch anyway (i think )

10. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i dont double cut every other week lawns. is it needs to be double cut they need to be mowed every week. i will double cut an every week lawn if it needs it.