RE-Doing a yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Reassurance Property, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

i am going to redo my yard this spring and am not sure the best way to so it. We have decided in the areas that just don't want to grow grass we are going to landscape. The rest of the yard is just crap though. very bumpy and patches of grass and weeds. We are going to sod it. What should I do to prep it though? Do I need to kill all of the existing stuff, add soil, i am going to aerate it to get rid of some compaction. Any advice would help. Thanks!

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How much are you willing to spend? What's your long term goal for your yard?

3. Reassurance Property

Under 10k. The long term is a beautiful lawn. I figure if I own a lawn company I should have a nice yard. It is just hard though because the client comes first and at the end of the day I just Don't feel like the hassle of building my own. We live on a lake so the value of a better yard will do wonders for the value of the property. Also we have two crazy dogs so seeding is out of the question.

4. Reassurance Property

Under 10k. (that includes sprinklers & sod) I live on just under an acre so about 1/2 acre of lawn. The long term is a beautiful lawn. I figure if I own a lawn company I should have a nice yard. It is just hard though because the client comes first and at the end of the day I just Don't feel like the hassle of building my own. We live on a lake so the value of a better yard will do wonders for the value of the property. Also we have two crazy dogs so seeding is out of the question.

5. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I believe the old lawn would have to come up, and the easiest way would be a sodcutter. The next step would be to check your grade. Then aerate and topdress, final rake for finish grade and ready for sod.

6. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

I would recommend tilling in compost to your soil. It's one of the best things you can do to help provide good growing conditions. Also, take a soil test to see what your dealing with on nutrients and CEC.

7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. A sod cutter would be an unnecessary rental fee, time, and labor. Just till in the existing.

8. Reassurance Property

thanks for the info

9. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I agree with adding the compost into the existing soil, but I still suggest renting the sodcutter, otherwise you will have clumps of the old lawn to rake out, unless you skip that part, then you will have a lawn with high and low spots over time. No better way than to see the canvas before you install sod or seed, this way you can check for drainage and adjust where needed and avoid future problems on your install.

10. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

I am new at this so forgive me if I ask a dumb question... Why aerate after cutting up the old grass and before topsoil?

Leroy