Re doing aerations

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassyfras, Mar 6, 2006.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok guys I need to re-do some aeration work. I'm planning on putting some topsoil down mixed with alittle compost and spreading that and putting seed and penn mulch down. Do I need to scratch the soil too if I'm adding soil? I also got some 12-12-12 to put down on top of that. Im hoping for some good results since im adding soil but for some reason I can see that being pointless. What do you guys think?

2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you doing this??:confused:

3. grassyfras

Grass seed didn't come in very well. Customer also asked for it.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

:confused: OK I am confused:confused:

5. grassyfras

about what?

6. grassyfras

Ok let me re phrase everything. I'm not doing any aerations; my aerations didn't turn out do to lack of water and probbly lack of seed. I didn't do them. One customer wants me to come out and put down top soil and put seed on top of that. I was going to get a yard of topsoil and mix in a half or fourth yard of compost with that and put it down with some starter fert and penn mulch. Will this work is the question. Would I just be better off getting a slit seeder or another option. Waiting till fall to do the aerations over is not an option.

7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

On bare ground we jsut aerate multi[ple times seed 8# per 1000 sq feet 12-12-12 starter and topdress with compost this covers the seed and will germinate peren ryes in 3-5 days Its truly amazing. rolling is optional
    Ive had customers come back form a 2 week vacation and thought we sodded instead.

8. grassyfras

alright ill go with the compost method. Thanks