1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Re doing lawn

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by coopers, Feb 5, 2005.

1. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

My parents would like to regrade their backyard, they have drainage problems. You don't want to just dump topsoil on top of the current lawn and start the new grade do you? Or is it a big deal? Thanks for the help.

Blake
    WA

2. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

If the yard is not draining properly, it is not wise to just build on top of that. Some may disagree with me, but I would say fix the soil, and the grade at the same time and then build new lawn on that.

There are several effective routes to go on that, but at least that gives you the direction to start in.

Reuben

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Fix the drainage problem first, Sometimes it might just mean a simple regradeing of the property or it might mean trenching and installing drainlines. Simply dumping dirt in a low spot just leaves a stratified layer of soil. Think of it this way, if the soil cant absorb the water now, how will dumping dirt on top of it help.

4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks guys.

Blake
    WA

5. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Actually, it can help if it forces some of the water off the prop.