Re-doing pavers and the price that goes with it.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by quicknclean, May 3, 2007.

1. quicknclean

quicknclean LawnSite Member

Hey all!

I have a customer who did a paver job some 20 years ago. Well, he didn't do any 3/4- so there are some low spots etc... the pavers are the thin kind, and he wants to re-use them.

What is the going rate for re doing pavers? I would be removing pavers, digging out dirt (5-6") compact the class 5, and then sand and pavers...

The front area is wide open, but the back is kinda weird. It has various "juts" and pockets & planters..

Total square feet is 460, with 325 of that being in the rear of the home.

Well let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Thin pavers ?? Must be clay ? It would actually cost him more than a new install because there is the time to take up the old patio. $20/square

3. quicknclean

Yep, you are right! they are clay...You really think 20 a square? I appreciate the input.

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Y'aint tamping that.. better do a class "A" screed job.
  5. quicknclean

Yea, thanks ChampionLS, I really didn't even think of that. But you are right, those things would crack im sure now that i think of it.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Always much more to "fix" than to install new. That is a rule of thumb.
  7. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

At least $25-$35 per quarter hour, to also include materials perhaps.

Your customers don't know your name in January - let them pay for it if they can't see the benefit of contracting with you earlier in the year for a better discount perhaps.
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

My thoughts on this is the customer is too cheap to pay for new pavers and he will be too cheap to pay you for doing a decent job. Try to sell him new pavers and explain to him what the benefits are. By the time you pull up the old pavers, clean the dirt off them, re-lay, compact them and chance breaking them you are further ahead to throw the damn things out.
  9. quicknclean

Thanks for the responses so far!

Here's the deal, the customer told me he likes the "look" of these clay pavers..and lets just say these things are Red. Well, I'm pretty sure your right about him being too cheap to buy new pavers, and even to have a quality job done. SO, I will bid it at what...$25 a square? Plus materials? or is that included in the 25?

Thanks guys.
  10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't go overboard with the labor. I wouldn't even charge more. Just make sure you charge for the time spent or estimate the time to be spent. You probably could tamp those clay mini-pavers, but you'll need to put a piece of plywood down first.