1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Re-edging mulch beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JCS Landscaping, Jul 18, 2010.

1. JCS Landscaping

JCS Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE WI

Hey guys,
    looking for some opinions from some of you guys that have been doing this for more years than I. Looking for the easiest means to redefine mulch bed edges for the beds that dont need to be widened. I finished up a job for an in law where we had to cut sod for 30 plus trees. most had outgrew there original bed, so we had to use a sod cutter to widen them. Got me thinking... I never want to haul that much sod again!!! So what works best for you guys? Do the stick bed redefiners really work that well? Thanks for any input.
  2. Schuley

Schuley LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a echo bed redefiner, and i've only used it once so far (just bought it on wednsday) and the 1 flower bed I used it on worked really well. Takes a minute or 2 to figure out your technique, like everything, but after that I think its way faster! i'd recommend it.
  3. JCS Landscaping

from NE WI

Was wondering if they worked well. Anything beats cutting sod when its not really needed. Thanks for the input.
  4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

i use a flat shovel becuase it leaves a cleaner cut IMO
  5. Schuley

Schuley LawnSite Senior Member

Have you used a redefiner? its as clean, or cleaner than a shovel.....and a billion times faster and less labor intensive
    I dont think I can ever use a shovel again for anyting except finishing up against a sidewalk or building.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Stihl yard boss tiller head on the end of my FS90. Unlike the echo re-definer, It has a much wider area to use instead of one little blade.

I can also take the tines off individually, so I can get the exact results I'm looking for.

I just did a 20 yard job where I needed to expand the beds. I just rented a bed-edger and went wider where I needed to. Then I just sprayed the grass between the new cut edge and the old edge, covered it over with mulch and walked away.
  7. JCS Landscaping

from NE WI

Sounds like a winning combo. I'll have to look into the boss tiller head. Thanks for all the input guys.
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've got the cultivator tines on mine, but I'm in the market for a set of bolo(sp?) tines to help dig a little more aggressively.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

In all seriousness, you need 3 pieces of equipment:

1) Sodcutter for the above mentioned jobs
    2) Bed Shaper\Brown or something along those lines for in between jobs
    3) Echo Redefiner for those jobs that just need a touch-up.

IMO, there really isn't only one piece, wish there was, but there isn't.

Some overgrown or neglected jobs are going to need a sod cutter.

Some will need the Bed Shaper\Brown type because they aren't really overgrown, but the Redefiner is too small.
  10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I rented an Echo Bed Redefiner a couple of weeks ago. Ordered one the next day, paid about $670, but the dealer refunded the rental fee.

I used it today. I re-did about a 120' edge in about 2 minutes by myself. No exaggeration. I cleaned up after it with a blower, and it was ready for mulch. Huge labor savings.

I does not work well for cutting a new bed. So we had to cut the new edges with a half-moon edgers and a spade. However, we went over it with the BRD after to make the edge look super clean and smooth. But it is absolutely awesome at doing what it is designed for. The video on the Echo site is realistic.