1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Re: Liming fairways

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rudy, Sep 26, 2001.

1. rudy

rudy LawnSite Member

I live in the north eastern USA in up state NY, Our greens keeper is getting ready to lime our fairways in a few weeks and it was brought to my attention that this practice is no longer being used and that we are probably waisting money doing it. As we have a somewhat limited budget and hate spending on unneccesary things I was wondering if there is someone out there who could help me.

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I am not qualified to give you an answer, but - if you go to a site called "Liming - The Why's and How To's" (Virginia Coop extension) it gives some real in-depth info. Briefly, it sounds like it is a way to keep the PH correct for grass. Other benefits are listed at "Liming the lawn" (West Virginia extension site).
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Im not far from liberty,we havent limed our fairways in 11 yrs,although they arent fully irrigated,and are not of tournament quality.Biu in my case,my Ph has been hovering around 6.1-6.2,so i see no need to add any lime.I use a calcium suppliment that helps boost ph.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Rudy,

Have the greenskeeper pull some soil samples and send them to a lab. Cornell is in NY & tests samples for free. The phone number I have is for the station in Valhalla, NY which services Westchester County. Call it & they'll have the number for the soil testing lab nearest you.

If you need help interpreting the results you can call your fetilizer vendor, the Cornell lab itself, or post the results here and I'm sure someone can advise you.

New York is part of the cool humid region of our country where abundant rainfall often leaches calcium from the soil. The result is low soil Ph.
    If the fairways Ph is much lower than 6.4, you're fertilizer treatments won't work as well as they could, and turf quality may suffer.

Good luck