Re-Mulching/Fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by zinkjo, Mar 21, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Doing an estimate for a fairly large "bed mulching" (775 sq ft).
    The bed is already established with a multitude of different plants and has some varying degrees of weed problems. The customer has asked for a price on removing the existing bark mulch and replacing with a compost mulch.
    They also want the landscape cloth put down first.
    I'm not a big fan of the cloth, but how can I convince them that weeds will not be a problem?

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey even though it is not great stuff and realy dose not work that great. If they realy want it put it down and charge for it! Also put down some preen that will help keep the weeds down you can also make this a folow up service to keep the weeds down.

3. lawnwerx1234

lawnwerx1234 LawnSite Member

Do Not use the fabric! Only under rocks.

4. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Is preen worth it? Is it safe to apply to a bed with existing plants/shrubs/etc..?
    Is it liquid or granular?

5. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Couple of more questions:
    1) There is currently some bark mulch in the beds. I want to replace with the black/compost like mulch. Can I just put it over the top of the bark mulch?
    2) The beds come out to 775 sq. feet. I am calculating 8 yards of mulch needed for a 3" layer. Does that sound right?

6. lawnwerx1234

lawnwerx1234 LawnSite Member

Throw it over the top, if there is no existing fabric underneath then it will just decompose. 7.17 yards of mulch.........

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't know what Preen is, you probably are legal to apply it....

Don't use fabric under anything other than rock. When fabric is put down under anything organic, the mulch will decompose on top of the fabric and will not incorporate into the soil, thus you will have a build-up of the mulch/compost over time that will exceed the rate of the same work without fabric. PLUS there will always (from day ONE) be weed seeds that will blown in and germinate on the ORGANIC mulch. Don't do it.

I'd use bark mulch instead of a compost. You'll have less problems that way.

If the clients don't want weeds anywhere, tell them to call the local redi-mix company and start paving. That'll hold the weeds down for a year or so.....:rolleyes:

Dan

8. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

WHOOOPS!!!!

It took me a week to find this typo, it should have said, "If you don't know what Preen is, you probably ARE NOT legal to apply it...."

Sorry for any confusion.:)

Dan

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

preen is trifluran pre emergent. it is sold at the mass merchants like lowe's

it is illegal to apply for customers without a liscense.