1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

re mulching

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnguyz2k3, Feb 2, 2004.

1. lawnguyz2k3

lawnguyz2k3 LawnSite Member

When remulching do you take away the old mulch or just pile the new on top of the old?:eek:
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

dump ontop of old.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

On top of the old...
  4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can afford the time, its a good idea to cultivate the old mulch into the soil before adding new. We always do this, but we maintain a College campus and aren't trying to make a profit.
  5. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

A few years ago, my clients started asking for dyed-mulch, specifically, black-dyed. Being that this mulch is pure wood (no bark), it takes years to decay. An inch or two added every year is now building up to 5 or 6 inches. It is time to remove the thick layer. IMO, anything over 3" depth is too much.
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually put a thin layer of mulch down over the old, it's only getting put down to incorporate the pre-emergent as well as add color. However, after a few years, you will have built up enough to where you should consider removing old.

If it's getting piled up on tree trunks, remove it. If it's within a couple of inches of house siding, remove it. If its ON house siding, you better remove it PRONTO and hope no critters have decided to use the mulch as a superhighway into the house!

7. lawnguyz2k3

thanks alot it will sure save me alot of time. i was thinking what the heck am i getting myself into i feel better now thanks again for your answers....
  8. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

cover over old unless it is close to the wood siding
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's close to any, then it needs to be removed.

Remember that even if you have vinyl siding, there's still wood underneath.
  10. lawnguyz2k3

thanks again its good to know that problem could pop up thanks again