Re: My comments on Mulching / Scrubs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 18, 2003.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I do not want to start another thread on Mulching. So please, let's not turn this thread into that. It's been beat to death. But I do want to make some comments and appologies regarding my previous comments on the subject.

I inferred in other threads that those who mulched were Scrubs. And now that I have seen more, I must say that my opinion has changed a little since then.

I don't think that anyone who mulches is a scrub. Although my experience in my area with mulching has not been very positive. Around here (where most lawns are small and wet, and where 21" mowers prevail) mulching isn't very effective. It usually leaves the lawn looking bad or at least not as good as it would have if the LCO had mowed it. It's usually a short-cut to save time at the cost of cutting quality. And that's what I consider a scrub - someone who's willing to sacrifice quality in order to save themselves time or money.

And after viewing the pictures some of you have posted I have seen SOME that are very impressive. Other pictures, however, that show chunks of leaves and grass clippings still scattered all over the lawn (albeit in smaller pieces than they were) still don't impress me. Those, I would just mow. But if you can make the lawn look perfectly clean after mulching, I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's probably a great way to be more efficient and you should be congratulated if you can mulch a lawn, leave it looking like it had been bagged. Efficiency is key to a profitable business.

So to those who were offended by my comments on mulching, I appologize. Again, as long as you can do it VERY well and leave the lawn still looking perfect, I don't see anything un-professional about that.

'Nuff said.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

NO hard feelings here. :D

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i too thought mulching was bad news, till i tried it. first off, to dispose of grass these days costs $17 per cu. yd. thats alot! ive had limited success with mulching leaves. but, for the most part the lawns i mulch look great, cant tell they were mulched. i also noticed the lawns i mulched did better in the long period of heat/drought we had here.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If I had enough power on my Scag I'd be mulching. 14hp/52" deck couldn't take it I don't beleive. But I am pro-mulching where possible. On postage stamp lawns I'd do it just for the sake of convenience, it is less messy making blowing quicker and it's safer, plus you can trim with either side of your mower too. On small lawns you can [usually] go just as fast as discharging anyway. That probably won't be true in spring high growth but after that, mulch away.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Jim, if you ever get to Memphis you can buy this scrub a beer.;) :p

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

That Jim Lewis is a heckuva guy...