RE: New here - buying a mower tomorrow - need advice - I bought a...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 18, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Well... I am the proud new owner of an Exmark LZ60 with a 25hp Kohler.
    The price was $7068.99. I took the 14.95% APR so I could take advantage of the 90 days no interest/120 days no payment. Hopefully I will have it paid off by then or maybe switch over the balance to a lower rate bank loan. I had a 6 year old Gravely Promaster-100 50" ZTR for trade. The sales guy asked me what price I had in mind for it... I said you tell me what you think it's worth (I was hoping for anything from $750 to $1000). He went out and looked it over (didn't even fire it up and drive it) and we went back inside. He played with his adding machine for a minute or so and said... "how does $1925 sound?". It took me a second to realize what he said, and I tried to keep a straight face and not appear to be stunned (I was). I said... "No arguements here". We finished up the paper work and I left with my new Lazer and a big smile :) on my face.

I think it was meant to be... a Lazer Z. It freakin' matches my truck (95 Dodge Ram - red/grey) and trailer (6'x12' enclosed red/silver) perfectly :)

Anyway, I cut my two largest residential accounts after my purchase. They're about 2.5 acres each and would take me approximately 6-7 hrs with the Gravely. I was done in 4 today. The Lazer is a beast, and I'm happy to say the least. I'm gonna need some more accounts!!!!

I want to thank all those who responded to my first post. I'm sure I'll be checking into this site frequently...

Regards,
    Tom S. Garvey
    TSG Property Maintenance Co.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Congratulations,and good luck,you bought a fine machine.I hope your 25 Kohler is a better one than I got on my 2000 Dixie.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats. I think you will be very happy with your Exmark. My 25 Kohler on the ZTmax is running fine after 2 years. It is worth looking into synthetic oil after break-in. It should help get rid of a little heat, and that is important in an air cooled engine.

4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

TSG,
    Where in Maryland are you from? Where did you purchase your machine,thats a good price?

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Keith.. Thanks for the tip on synthetic oil.

Big ED.. I'm in Westminster, Carroll County. I purchased it at Frederick Equipment Co. 9640 Liberty Rd. in Frederick. Phone:301-898-1200. I dealt with a gentleman named Ron Kershner. I thought this was the going price because I went to another place (can't remember the name right now) in Hampstead that had the same price.

I still can't get over the trade in value of the Gravely :)

6. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Congratulations on getting the new Exmark. 4 hours compared to 6 or 7 sure does make you feel good I bet. I think you will be happy with the 25 hp kohler. I have been pleased with mine. Good luck.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Good choice.:cool: I bet you will continue to be happy with it. Enjoy the ride.

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

good choice let all of us know how it is at the end of the season, i know i will need some info for next year for my new 60" lazer from exmark or hustler.

9. Wow! Thats a real difference in time spent cutting.

My experince in financing anything is the salesman will usually never come down on the sticker price when you trade in something. I'm sure you would have never been able to sell the Gravely for the trade in price. So enjoy the new mower and take the earnings from new time on hand and pay for one in cash next time. When dealers smell cash they tend to be better on the sticker price.

Aloha,
    P.Y.S.