1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

re-power (FJ180V to GXV160) on Toro proline?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by z_clark, Oct 15, 2006.

1. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

The kawi on one of my 21" proline has had it. I am tired of fixing head gaskets!

I want to take off the Kawi FJ180V and re-power with Honda GXV160.

Can I do this my self? Is it as simple as un-bolt / bolt on??? I know I will need to change the cables. These 21"s come with both motors factory, so are the holes there to bolt on?

I am slightly mechanically inclined. Am I getting in over my head? Any advice? This will be a winter project, so it could be...uuhhhh fun...:rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice / experience!
  2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unbolting the engine and rebolting it on won't be a problem. You may have add another spacer on the blade adapter, due to the switching to the Honda.
  3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Who is replacing them you or a kawi dealer? I have done this job and the update requires the new gasket and bolts and the correct torque sequence. I have never had a return after doing this job. I know they are prone to fail but just wondering may be something you could call kawi on if this procedure is fallowed and continues to fail.
  4. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Mower med,

I have had the gaskets done under warranty by the dealer. All have had it replaced 2 times, one of them 3 times. I have 6 kawi powered 21"s, and 4honda powered 21"s currently. Not a single peep out of the Hondas!

Regardless of the gasket, this particular kawi has an estimated 1500 hrs on it, and I would like to put it up for the winter knowing that it will not cause any down time next season. I can get re-powered for less than $400 I think.

Thanks for the comments and help!
  5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you going to get the Honda? Make sure its the right one that Toro would normally use on their mowers.

Toro may have it in their parts breakdown. They have a 3 or 4 digit code that tells what crankshaft/options the engines have. Like QX2 or VX1A or whatever. Then just figure out what parts are different between the Honda and Kawasaki versions and you should be set.