1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Re-powered my Snapper RER

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kogafortwo, Sep 6, 2009.

1. kogafortwo

kogafortwo LawnSite Member

After spending weeks pushing a 21" around my yard in the South Carolina heat, trying hard to diagnose my engine troubles, and finally figuring out that my valve guides were shot (thanks to Restrorob and Fixdiss), I got a great deal on an 8 HP replacement B&S from a dealer in town who had some new-old engines on the shelf. I am dropping from 12 to 8 HP, but with a 28" deck it's OK. While I was at it, I also replaced the driven disk and painted the rear chassis and the back wheels. I took it for a test ride around the yard and it runs like new - cause it is.

Check out the pics - by the time you read this, I should be out mowing. I didn't do it last night because I wanted the new paint to harden before I got grass all over it.

PIC-0110.jpg

PIC-0111.jpg

PIC-0115.jpg

PIC-0116.jpg

PIC-0118.jpg

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Why is it people want to half azz everything ?

Now, GET a new coat of paint on the front half !!! :laugh:

Looks good..... Thumbs Up

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is this machine driven by that wheel with the rubber tire on it? The one you see thru the opening.

4. kogafortwo

kogafortwo LawnSite Member

Retro: I'd rather do stuff half-azzed than go off half-kokked!

Yes, the rubber wheel is the driven wheel from the engine's disk which hangs down on the vertical shaft.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

yes hess it is and is a very weak system with lots of little parts to fail. mine hAas been a pos from day 1. i bought a real lawntractor and couldnt be happier. my pos snapper is now for leaf cleanup only-the only job it does well