Re powering string trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Fronczak, May 12, 2007.

1. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking in J Thomas, They now sell direct replacement 2 cycle enginges for string trimmers, under $ 100.00. From my experience, I always have worn out the engine, everything else worked fine still. Is it worth it? I have two ech0 2400, & a kawasaki 26A that could use repowering, other than that they work fine (I may have to buy new heads as some have probably went to others). My thought is I could have three almost new trimmers for the price of one.

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

well you can be the guinea pig for us and try them and let us know how they are. the price is right

3. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

timmers are the cheapest peice of equipment to replace..i go through 1 a year and if it takes more then $50 to fix it goes in the garbage.I only buy $200 timmers cauz over the years u realize u dont need more then 21 cc's and ive had 25 cc $300 trimmers that wouldn't last more then a year either.replace an engine.....r u crazy? i never fall in love with any machine i own.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Your a dealers dream.....:clapping:

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I can't imagine it is worth the hassle, I usually go like this- new trimmer every two years, last one becomes backup. two years later, another new one, and the 4 year old one still runs, and is a backup for backup. and so on. after 6 years, if it still runs, sell it for 50 bucks and move on.

I Have went the way of the above post by the way, and the 21cc engines do wear out and break faster-usually a year, you are constantly running them at max because you have to. a 300 dollar and up stihl,shindaiwa, redmax or echo with 25 cc's and up, they don't get as hot because you don't have to rev them as high.

I think spending 200 more on a whole new trimmer and keeping the old one still in running shape before it blows is a better plan.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It does stink when you finally find one that lasts several years before it quits, but I agree with the philosophy of new trimmer every few years, regardless. You might go through this school and get lucky, but I didn't...

For one, parts from old trimmers can and do interchange somewhat, at least a stihl fs-85 muffler fits an echo srm-260s, that much is trial and error but either sell the old one or keep for parts, at least you have free parts supply.

.....................personal example
    Because I got this echo srm260s, all it needed was a coil, that alone took dang near a YEAR to get fixed (3-4 months or so just at the dealers), more so because you just never know what is wrong, thou I saved myself some money, I must've spent 20+ hours on the stupid thing. Had I just cut grass even at a lousy $30 pmh rate, 20 x 30 = $1200, I could've bought a trimmer for the cost portion of that...

Finally got it running again, wow it ran so good, so smooth, but I knew I should've just bought a new one.
    Sure enough, two weeks ago here it goes again, now the engine gets hot and it slowly loses all power, and cuts off.
    So what now, replace engine?
    I already put the muffler from another on, so that's not it.
    What's next, the carb?
    ....................................end example

It's just not worth it, 300-400 and I'm done, I have my fs110 and then I've got a dedicated pole trimmer which is really a converted fs85 so that can always be put back to trimming use, you know, it's easier to have several trimmers around, it really is.

If I want to waste NO time, I call my dealer on the cellular from the field and ask him if he can have a trimmer ready to go in about 30 minutes from now? If he says yes, I'll be at his store about that time, swipe the credit card, sign, get trimmer, thank you.
    Because we DO charge enough to compensate for this (and, this is why we do).

What you might can do is see if parts from one will fix another, maybe you can make one work out of 3-4, but beyond that I wouldn't spend much money on them, $50 at the most, and even that I question.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

NO!!!
    Just go buy a new one, Kawi makes a awsum trimmer, Stihl does to

8. ranger350

ranger350 LawnSite Member

Ive had no issues with Deere trimmers (XT140LE) I do cemeteries mostly and thats alot of trimming , lol. One thing i like is they're quiet and lots of power.

9. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what you are all saying about replaceing them, but if you look at all the posts, not one of you has said anything about problems other than engine. I have yet to experience anything other than engine problems (& spools) as well. The replacement engines appear complete, you just un-hook the throtle cable & loosen clamp slide off, slide new on & hook up clamp. Everything that everyone is complaining about is new, & shouldn't take but 20 minutes to do. I have no problem with buying new trimmers, my kawasakis are now at least 5 seasons old, they don't owe my a thing, but after being in this business for 12 years the "extras or parts" are starting to build up & I don't want to add more to that pile.

10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

If it includes a carb that might be ok. As far as other problems, well, I've had one gear head unit that had a ton of vibration, grips worn out, heads worn out as well as the engine. I usually get a couple years out of my echo 260's and by then, they get used on limited duty likea spare trimmer or power broom, pole pruner, brush cutter, etc. That's if they haven't calved yet. The couple that have bolwn I keep around for spare parts like heads, switches, knobs, handles, and other common easily broken items. Easy stuff gets replaced, major breakdown = trip to dealer for new one. Too cheap of an item to not be in a new one every couple years.