Re-powerings a 40" Bunton Need Advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by traderfjp, May 25, 2008.

1. traderfjp

traderfjp LawnSite Member

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new engine for my 40" Bunton that is about 25 years old. I have it narrowed down to a 13HP Honda or a 13HP Intek from Briggs. Both engines have about the same specs. I had a rototiller for many years with a Honda motor and I was very happy. I also have had old flat head briggs motors on some of my machines and have been happy too. Since I haven't bought a new piece of equipment of engine in a while I'm out of the loop as to which engine would be better for my walk behind mower. Does Briggs still make quality engines and is the Vanguard more comprable to the Honda? I do want to stay with one of these two brands. Any advice is appreciated.

2. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

if your gonna keep it spend a little extra now and buy the honda there is no comparison between the intek and honda. the vanguard is most comparable in the briggs line up but for about the same money you can get the honda and never second guess yourself.

3. traderfjp

I guess I was considering the Briggs because the motor that was on there is 25 years old and a Briggs and really was a great performer. A guy who repairs engines told me he tought the Intek was a more durable engine but the Honda engines seem to get better reviews. I guess Briggs is slipping.

4. I MOW ALONE

the intek that i had dropped a valve after only 150-200 hours. i would definitely steer clear of the intek but thats just my opinion.

5. traderfjp

Thanks for the headup on the Intek. I'm going to get a Honda for sure. Do you have any idea on the shaft size? I think they are standard for walk behind mowers.

6. traderfjp

7. I MOW ALONE

yes that is the standard size. measure your old engine just to make sure they are the same but i will bet they are.

8. traderfjp

Thanks for all the help. I just finished painting the "beast." I used a product called Zero Rust. It is made to stop rust and works. I've used it in the past. I used engine paint for around the engine and a black mettalic paint on the rest of the mower. It should look sharp with a red engine. I wanted to ask you if I could measure the shaft (new territory for me) with the engine on the deck. I didn't want to pull the bearing off the old shaft until I was ready to install the engine. I have to rent this tool so I want to do it all together. Can I just measure from the bottom of the deck to the end of the shaft?

9. I MOW ALONE

you should'nt have any problem getting a measurement with it mounted to the deck. when you say bearing what bearing are you refering to there should only be a pulley on the engine. plus you will only need the pulley puller for removal and when putting the pulley on the new engine you just tap it on lightly with a hammer if it does'nt slide right on.

10. traderfjp

Yeah. I meant pulley not bearing. I just measured the shaft from the bottom of the deck to the end of the shaft where it comes out of the pulley. The OD was 1 1/4" and the length was 6". Can this be right? I have an 11hp Briggs flat head model 2534702. Did I measure this wrong?