Re: Relocating my business from colorado to florida

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jphag, Sep 2, 2003.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

:) :) :) I would just love it if anybody would tell me the in's and out's of mowing and landscaping in the Daytona Beach area. Anything will help and would be much appreciated. .::angel: :angel: :angel:

Thank you

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Get "in & out" of the heat as quickly as you can :D

Good Luck!

3. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Lawn-Scapes Thats the VERY truth right there. major heat down here. Don't know what kind of grass your use to cutting but I know fronm guys that have tken on St. Augustine before they didn't know much about it. So learn a little about it. Your going to find that you will not get the same amount per cut as you did where you were. Keep your equipment clean....the sand works wonders on equipment, so keep that oil clean. Make sure you keep a hat on your head and drink LOT'S OF WATER. Don't go out and try and cut a tone of lawns on your first few weeks, break into it and get use to the heat. In fact, it's more the humidity that gets ya. One thing I'm still looking out for with the properties on a lake............GATORS...haven't come across one yet but I'm sure I will. Seen to many snakes to count.

Steve

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

But seriously folks...

Lots of grass to cut in Florida. Be sure and bring a good set of manners with you. Far too many northerners have swooped down on Florida and brought lousy manners with them. This is the South- we all stand when Dixie is played. Robert E. Lee is still revered here.

As with the market in the rest of the country, the bucks is in mid sized commercial accounts. Although I'm sure Daytona has a large amount of pricey residentials.

Give us a yell when you're settled.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Good luck..........:)

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I noticed that in some areas of costal florida the emphasis is as much on landscape as on lawns. Not sure about Daytona, but Boca Raton, for example, has tons of tiny lawns with maybe 3,000 ft of grass to mow, but very intricate ornamentals to maintain. So you'd better be expert at that, as well. And your equipment needs will vary by area, too . Some lawns I see there isn't a 48" wide patch of grass on the property, so big riders may not work in some neighborhoods.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Damn, I guess I gotta stay put...smallest mower I have (1) is a 21 incher. Everything else is 52 and bigger. Guess I better go and tell the other half where we're NOT semi-retiring to...aw s***.

8. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I have vacationed in Florida numerous times and haver NEVER found the humidity to be as bad there as it is in Ky.

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Hahahahahaha! You gonna do what?!

First, you have to change blades one to two times per day. None of that once a week stuff. Stay away from Bahia turf. It is cow pasture grass and grows like crazy mulches like crap.

The smallest mower I have is a 36"WB

We have lots of plants and they row a bunch.
    Some are grown pretty far north. Others are tropical. Know your plants and how to prune them and when.

Oh and the heat. One thing Kentucky boy did't say is that while are temps. aren't much higher than up north at times. And yes it is humid at times up north. However, our first 90 degree temp. was in March and will continue until mid Nov. Now the humidity doesn't kick in until about the end of April until the end of Oct. so it lasts a long time.

Oh and 40 degrees will feel like 20 up north! Believe it or not!

Good Luck!

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I was speaking from experience. I did lawn care in West Palm - Boca area for 7 years. The humidity is nasty as nelbuts said. I laugh when people complain about the heat/humidity up here and tell them.. try working in it for 6-7 months straight each year. It's DISGUSTING!

Make sure you get yourself a couple of nice hedge trimmers (40" and extended) as you will soon learn what ficus hedges are. ;)

Watch out for thorns! Rubilini's (sp?) will hurt you. :eek: