re-reseeding after 2 weeks - more starter fert?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by justgeorge, Sep 8, 2006.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I did a total lawn renovation on my lawn. The new fescue seed was clearly visible in only 6 days and is coming in pretty good in most places. In some places though I can tell it's going to need another dose - where the old yard was the most healthy I had too much dead grass/thatch even after mowing it really short and dethatching it prior to slice seeding. Anyway, in those areas I want to get down another batch of seed while the weather is still good after raking out the excess thatch.

My question is, do I also need a new dose of starter fert, or is what I put down two weeks ago still in the soil and efffective? I used Fertilome brand "New Lawn Starter".

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It probably won't hurt. As long as you didn't go super heavy the first time. I hit all my new growth around 3 weeks after, anyway. (and another 3-4 weeks after that).
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

It won't hurt. Usually the new seed eats up every bit of the fert to germinate. I fert a nice even amount initially then fert again as soon as I see a nice covering of grass cropping up.