RE,,,SCAG AIR FLOW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwigh1, Apr 10, 2001.

1. dwigh1

dwigh1 LawnSite Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVISE
    I ALSO OWN A GS45 JOHN DEERE WB A 48" BOBCAT WB AND A DIXIE CHOPPER AND LIKE YA'LL SAID THE BOBCAT CUTS TWICE AS GOOD AS THE SCAG AND THE DIXIE CUTS WELL ALSO IT WILL THROW GRASS 3 ROWS OVER ITS GOT IT GOING ON, THE DECK OF THE DIXIE DOESN'T HAVE ANY BAFFLES UNDER IT AT ALL JUST 3 SPINDLES WITH BLADES THATS IT I THOUGHT ABOUT CUTTING THE BAFFLES COMPLETELY OUT OF THE SCAG HAS ANYONE DONE THIS YET OR AM I THE TEST RAT?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My 48" WB SCAG doesn't have any deck baffles except around the rear of the blade arc. Are you talking about the new ADVANTAGE deck? That is the only SCAG deck that I know of that has front baffles. Baffles help suction or lift, and help the cut, not hinder it. I think the older SCAG WB's are a good example of slow blade tip speed and poor alignment of blade height under the deck. The discharge is different than the DIXIE and will allow the DIXIE to discharge a greater distance.

Press your CAPS LOCK key!

3. dwigh1

dwigh1 LawnSite Member

yes the dixie thows grass great wet or dry no clumps and the scag is a 98 model and i'm speaking of the rear baffles

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen a side discharge deck that doesn't have rear baffles. The rear baffles are critical for getting the grass to move to the front of the deck so it can be discharged. Without the baffles I would imagine that the grass would continue to build up in the blade area until it just rolled out from under the deck. Before you remove the baffles I would try adding the triagular gussets that I described in the original thread. Any welding shop should be able to do it for under $50.00.

5. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I totally agree, I have a scag turf tiger with an advantage deck......I really don't see the advantages of this. My great dane does twice a good a job as the scag.....