Re-seeding after broadleaf application?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Enviro Green, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

I have recently thrown my hat into the ring of fertilizer and pesticide applications to residential lawns. The most recent call I have had is a property owner who bought a new house with a poorly established lawn. He has a mix of fescue, tall and creeping, some small quack grass and a mixture of broadleaves. Oh yeah, and some bare ground. He wants to hydroseed over the existing grass, and I have soil tested (waiting on results to give to hydroseeder) and thought it best to treat the broadleaves prior to the hydroseeding to reduce competition and give a cleaner lawn. However, will there be residual issues with the broadleaf herbicide such as Dicamaba or Lesco three way? How will germination be affected?

Has anyone had any experience with hydroseeding as an overseeding type application? I appreciate any input or tips you might give.

Thanks!
    John

2. 2 weeks should be long enough.

What does the label say? It will tell you on it.

3. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Try reading the label!

Labels for most broadleaf herbicides call for three weeks before
    seeding or close to it.

If you don't believe the label try half the yard treated and half
    untreated. Be prepared to fix the treated half if it doesn't work!

Better yet, get the weeds under control and seed in the late summer or fall for best results. You may find that a good fertilization program and weed control may reduce the amount
    of seeding you have to do anyway.

"when all else fails, read the directions!"

4. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Out of curiosity, if he is hydro seeding his entire lawn, why not use roundup and start from a fresh base?

5. Enviro Green

He wants to keep what lawn he has, although I suggested using Roundup since we could reseed in only a few days without any problem, but he seems to desire over seeding the existing lawn.

At the present, after reading labels (most broad-leaf treatments require a three week wait prior to reseeding) and past threads, it would seem that over seeding and fertility work will be the first priorities, then worry about weed pressures this fall.

I may wind up being able to spot spray the worst weed areas with Roundup prior to the seeding. Thoughts?

6. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Sounds like that would be best for what the customer is wanting to do. I would go in and spray roundup in any weedy areas the day or two before and the customer will never know the difference and you will get a better stand of healthy grass.

7. GREAT you did a soil test

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

From my experience and working with a fertilizer company in my area you have to break the soil in order to seed after a herbicide has been put down on the lawn. slit-seeding might be your best shot then mulch it with the penn-mulch.

Or seed now and after a month you should be able to hit everything with a post emergent in june. or blanket it with a herbicide in early fall.

9. Enviro Green

Roger that, I apprecaite your advice. I think that the customer will be happier with weed control this fall or next year, and I think a fertility program will be the best program for him overall.

Thanks everyone!

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Why wait till fall. Your customer already knows what he wants and that is results. Let the new turf get started and cut a few times, then go to work on the weeds.