1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jds720, Jun 29, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so i have a customer that wants his yard re-sodded.
    Its needs to be St. Aug.
    And the lawn was destroyed by chinch bugs.

Is this somthing i should take on or have sombody else do it?
  2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

if you are asking if you should do it, then you probally should not do it because you haven't done it before or have the experience right ??? no offense.

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

Are you to busy to do the work? If not why wouldn't you do it?
  4. jds720

no never done it, in my mind its ALOT of liablity. Im thinking, just sub it out!
  5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Do it and don't charge as much as the going rate. It will be a valuable learning experience. Sod jobs are easy if you get the prep right. On the next job make some good money and keep pics to show what you've done in the past.
  6. jds720

what kind of prep work would be envolved? it was eatin alive from chinch bugs
  7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

your definatly going to have to have it treated by some one wiith a license for the clinch bugs before you even touch anything
  8. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I got asked yesterday to do the same job...but I really don't know enough about the work to price it right. I don't want to way overcharge or end up working for free....or worse....end up paying her to lay it down. But the guy above is right...the yard needs to be treated before you can lay down the sod. The bugs are still in the dirt and what not. They will just reappear and take back over again, or at least that is what I have been told.
  9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

First, do you have any culivar of St. Augustine that is not Floratram? I don't know that variety but have read that it is weaker than Bitter-blue or Palmetto. I still prefer the old Palmetto for hardiness. Others may advise you better than I on this.
    Clear out those clinch bugs with a high pressure spray which will force your insecticide into the turf. Cut and till your soil deep (+/- 5"), Round-up the soil and wait for a couple of weeks. Add some organic material that will hold some moisture. Only lay fresh cut St. Augustine sod. Just make sure you water it every day and keep the soil moist. Hit it with some micro-nutrients and liquid fertilizer. I've began to use the 23-0-23 soluble from Lesco. Clinch bugs thrive on dry hot turf. After a day or so, try to spray it with some liquid-Seven which will help with the Clinch Bugs mixed with your fertilizer. So keep it cool as much as possible--try not to promote fungus by watering at night.