Re-soding my yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by blackthumb, Mar 13, 2004.

1. blackthumb

blackthumb LawnSite Member

I don't know if this is the right place to post this as it looks like it's only professionals here. If not, just let me know.

I live in south Florida where we only have saint Augustine grass (just learned this yesterday lol) and my back yard which is about 400 sq. feet or more is a sea of weeds. The grass is all dead.

I've moved into this house 16 months ago and there used to be a lawn back there but have neglected it. Our sprinkler system was unusable the entire time, I never fertilized it, and I let the trees back there overgrow and the shade was not good for it either i bet. I just got the sprinkler system fixed couple months ago, cut all the tree branches up from the ground up to about head level, and removed a dead lemon tree as well... I have 4 citrus trees back there and a star fruit tree and some other non fruiting tree which is very big... but the sun still makes it to the ground.

I want to re sod. Try doing it myself. which I may fail at and call a professional but at least i want to give it a shot.

My plan of action is to mow the weeds (they're all about 6 inches high) and then use scott's weed and feed. wait till the weeds die, rake it all up or pull it all up, agitate the soil a bit although it's already pretty sandy and loose. then have the sod delivered and lay it out myself. and then water the heck out of it for a couple weeks.

I don't know if this is the right way to go about it so I haven't done anything yet other than buy the weed & feed.

Can anyone either tell me if i'm missing something or direct me to some place online that has all the info i need.

(i've searched but can't find any GOOD info)

TIA!

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I would just take some weed killer(round up) and kill everything, I don think weed and feed would kill everything. You might look into renting a sod cutter. Ive used them a few times and I think they do a nice job. Once the sod is down we tell customers to water twice a day for an hour each time for two weeks. Then you can back off if needed.

This site will be of help.http://www.saintaugustinegrass.com/

3. blackthumb

thanks for moveing the thread... i hadn't noticed the homeowner forum before :)

ok , i'll save the weed & feed for my front lawn which is still going strong but does have a lot of weeds and get the round up. I just don't know if they sell roundup in containers large enough to cover the entire yard..

how long would you wait after using the roundup before laying down the new sod?

4. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

don't forget topsoil and a grading rake if you want the new sod to last a while.

5. blackthumb

hrm.. that makes things a tad more complicated for me since i have a bad back... but i'm sure my husband will help me with the manlabor. :-D

thanks for the tips!!

6. Turf Technologies

from Florida

Dont worry about top soil or a grading rake, we never use that down here and have no problems with it. Just kill it , remove the dead stuff( dont have to) then just lay the sod down. But if you have a bad back I would'nt do this project. Its a lot of bending over. I would hire someone. 400sq. is a little less then a pallet of sod, so it wont be to costly.

7. blackthumb

lol... well, i've gotten only a single estimate and they guy said 400 bucks... maybe he is just crazy.

8. blackthumb

btw,... i can't lift heavy , but i can bend over. ;) was thinking carrying bags of sod around woudl kill me... but since i don't have to... no worries.

9. Turf Technologies

from Florida

I dont think you can get sod in bags. Best thing to do is have it delivered. Your gonna need a pallet at the most.

10. blackthumb

err.. i meant bags of top soil. :eek: