Re-Thinking Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pulpit46227, May 27, 2003.

1. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

Ok, I have ran doubles for over two years now on a 36 Bobcat with a 15 hp Kaw. I liked the results. This year I notice a fine line of grass being left between the blades. Tried everything to correct, different blades, kept deck clean etc. I pulled off the doubles and the problem was fixed, no fine line of grass between the blades. I don't know if the doubles were slowing down the tip speed or what, I would think a 15hp was plenty of power. I also noticed a lot less stress on the engine, it was really purring nicely.

2. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

Alot of views, but no replys??? Come on. I hated taking off the doubles, but I think it's just an ego, macho, power thing. I mean what do doubles really do? They might chop up the grass a little finer, but that's about it.

3. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Just started running doubles about a month ago.....

Results were fine until a few belts broke, now the only belt thats not brand new is the deck belt. Now i got stringers its leaving. Thinking about just replacing the old belt to see if the problem is corrected.

Im running a 25 horse Kohler.

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm starting to have the same problem on my Chariot.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hmmm..... now I wonder why they have worked great for years without that problem.... leads me to beleive it has nothing to do with doubles. I'm running single gators and a mulch kit on my walk behind. The single gators do not have enough lift and sometimes miss a few strands of grass meaning double cut but thats OK because I don't use it that much. The rider is setup to discharge and I'm running double regular lifts. No clumps, awesome stripes, sucks up every single blade of grass and weed. No noticeable clippings on top. Since it's 61"/22hp it takes quite a bit of power and slows the RPM's (slower ground speed) but I am gonna try to turn up the RPM's some and or get some gators to use as doubles instead of regular lifts (takes less power). Oh yeah, I'm using Bob-Cat offset blades on TOP of regular straight blades, which puts both cutting edges on the same level about, which gives alittle better suction and also if one blade misses a blade of grass or weed, the other blade is about forced to get it. I definately notice a big difference on the rider in strain on the clutch and engine, but if it saves double cutting IMO it's worth it not just in time saved but it saves alot of compaction on the yard. To me it's better to go over the lawn once at 5mph than twice at 6mph !!!!!! I seem to have higher productivity that way :confused: :p :dizzy:

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Oh yes, also check out www.elmlawnsite.com he has used double blades for many many years and was practically the inventor of doubles (maybe he was actually....hmm....i don't know for sure). But he has had much much success with them (see his eye poppin' pics) and no trouble related to doubles. He ran double high lifts I beleive. Eric Erickson (owner of elmlawnsite) unfortunately died last year I think it was.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Just got back From Mowimg When We had Two or More Inces Of rain The day Before With Bouble High Lifts And A Ultravac. SWEET!
    John.

lazerbag500res.jpg

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sorry thats Double Blades! And No Weights.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the only time i run doubles is when i need super lift. still like them and dont think its much harder on the machine.
    just found blades that didnt require it .
    no secret just high lifts.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OK.... So..... How much is that "sweet" setup worth, 2 WB's or three???? Or, are you already charging $90/hour????
    Pete