? re: torn belt on Ultra Vac

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GarPA, Sep 26, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the past couple days I've had to run the Ultra Vac in some heavy wet grass. It did fine as I went slow.At the end of the day, the belt in the UV mechanism separated. I'm gussing the UV has only about 150 hrs on it as I rarely use it.
    Nothing seems to be bound up inside the mechanism.

Just wondering if this is something that happens often and if there might be a problem with the impeller drive not moving freely enough??

Any info/advice is much appreciated..thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

GarPA,

I have seen this before. Having the belt separate tells me to look at your impeller. Here are some things to look for.

Belt alignment
    Idler arm needs grease or is binding (bent)
    Belt stretched, idler riding against the stop.

9 times out of 10 the arm needs some grease or is hanging up. It doesn't take long to wear out a belt if the arm is not functioning properly. Best bet is taking it to your dealer and have him check it out.

Thanks, Fred.

3. GarPA

from PA

Fred...I thought too that there might be a lube issue so I when I took it in to pick up the new I asked the head mechanic where the grease fitting was since I couldn't see it, He said he's never greased one of these and also looked at it and couldn't find one. Maybe we're both blind so could you tell me how to grease the idler arm?? thanks

4. eXmark

GarPA,

Well the grease zirk is located on the idler arm hub. If you look at your parts manual it will give you an idea of the location.

Manual says 1-2 pumps every 25hr.

Thanks, Fred.

5. GarPA

from PA

oh my goodness....this thing has NEVER been greased....I think I need to give my "expert mechanic" a little class on Ultra Vac 101...thanks much Fred

6. eXmark

GarPA,

Glad to here we found the issue. It's all about team work!!

Thanks, Fred.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Dang, Fred is awake this early???

Be sure to move everything around after you greese it. Helps to lube it good.

8. eXmark

Hey Hoss,

You know me, no sleep for the wicked. Good to hear form you.

Thanks, Fred.