Re-updated "Top of the line" Blower comparison chart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Happy Frog, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Since Echo came up with their new big blower, here is an update of the "big name" top of the line backpack blowers chart.

Before settling down on a specific model, one must understand that the actual blowing power has much to do with the volume of air displaced (air mass) and the speed at which the blower will move this air (velocity).
    The blower efficiency index on the chart is a very good indicator of how the blower will perform compared to the others.

As you can see here, there is actually not much difference between the three "big names" top of the line blowers (Echo, Redmax and Stihl).
    You can also see that a good performer not much talked about is the Kawaski KBR750 which has the highest engine power and performs about the same as the Stihl BR-600 while being the quieter of all.
    On the other hand, the two new Shindaiwa blowers are in a whole different ball park in terms of actual blowing performance with a 33% and 48% increase in performance compared to the much talked about Stihl BR-600.

Note that he Echo PB-755 fitted with the end tube of a PB-265 (longer but smaller in diameter) will outperform any blower on this chart. :cool2:

Top Blowers chart.jpg

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Haven't heard from you for a very long time, how's the PAS265 holding up since you are about the first to use this?

Is there any standard in the hp rating? Or is just some numbers company throw out? How can Kawasaki which has only 64.5 cc out power the 79 cc Shindaiwa?

3. Happy Frog

I have been busy on many fronts and I had to cut down on my Internet time quite a bit... :rolleyes:

Blower effectiveness as a lot to do with the turbine design and a better design will move more air with less power required than another one.
    Pretty much in the same way that one engine can produce much more power than a bigger one.
    All the numbers are the one published by manufacturers.
    Horsepower is a standard so it is easy to compare but it does not tell you how effective the blower is.
    Air volume and air velocity are the numbers one should look at to determine the actual "power" of a blower. This is why I added the blower efficiency index which is a calculated value from published CFM and air speed.

The PAS-265 are going strong, one of them just started to act up atfull throttle so I replaced the air filter which was covered in "mud" but it did not solve the problem. I think the spark plug or coil is going bad...
    :drinkup:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You know what I'm going to say...

Just as soon as they standardize testing then the numbers will mean something. Until then the numbers are worthless. It also doesn't take into account nozzle design which has a huge impact on a blowers suitability for a given person.

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

If the hp is standardize, then at least that mean something. Yes, I don't really read much into the cfm and mph stuff.

6. Happy Frog

Very true, but it gives a good idea of what to expect.
    Hand on testing is the only way to make sure the chosen model is the right one...

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long the person using a blower BELIEVES it is the most powerful unit I am guessing
    that it is probably so and that this holds true of the manufacturers as well.

Because you walk up to MY dealer and spew off that there stuff about the Echo and the Shindy and bring the
    chart too because I am telling you they will TALK to you with such authority about the BR-600's ability that you'll
    probably walk out that door of theirs with your tail between your legs, chart and all LOL

Just goes to prove, he who believes in a product, can sell it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. So no updates in over 3 years?

9. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody's built a Bp blower to beat the 580/8500 since it came but I'm looking forward to seeing it happen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, just like with air compressors it's pretty much all in the CFM or air volume.
    Air velocity is simply the end result of what happens when you force X cfm's through a tube, the more cfm's you push through, the faster it has to move... There's no way around it, you can't even make air move faster unless you push more through so once again we arrive at cfm's (or volume)... So ultimately you can focus pretty strictly on the cfm's alone.

Now...
    I wonder if that's Shindaiwa's chart.
    Because if it is, it's also pretty worthless.