Re-updated "Top of the line" Blower comparison chart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Happy Frog, Aug 18, 2010.

1. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

I don't care if they come up with one that is marginally "better". If it weighs any more than current designs and is any less durable/reliable than my current 7500 I would not be interested. Nitpicking blower perceived power isn't as important to me as having one that's going to get it done year after year without issues. My 7500 has that in spades.

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would a redesign be "less durable/reliable"? Technology keeps getting better. No reason it should/would go backwards. If anything it would/should get better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

Because as has been stated already backpacks are pretty much maxed out now as far as what can be done within EPA regulations. Were it not for the EPA guidelines current engines could have port timing changes and fuel mixture changes that would substantially increase their output without any weight increases or reduction in reliability. Unfortunately, the EPA isn't going anywhere so the only way to 'increase' performance is either increasing engine size(more weight) or trying to squeeze a little more juice out of current engines(less durability). There's only so much you can do with the blower itself to increase output without adding more engine output either by size or by performance gains. Most all commercial equipment makers are utilizing the very best steels and alloys in the engines now just to keep the engines running under the lean mixtures they are required to operate under.

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

thats not always the case.... Ill make the case with diesel engines. I have a 93 chevy with a 6.5 diesel. 93,94 were the best years for the 6.5. Then they came out with electronic injection on it and durability went down hill starting in 95. Then in 97 they made a thinner block making 97-200 the worst years for the 6.5. ford went to the 7.3 to the 6.0. The grand prix is another good example. The newer the car the more issues they had.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Well said bro.:clapping:

6. echo

Exactly why they don't use that garbage diesel motor anymore and now have the Duramax. No comparison. With the exception of thin body panels, vehicles have gotten much better in the last 20 years.

As to the Gran Prix, not sure which motor you're referring to(2.8, 3.1), but the 3.8 has been all but bulletproof. If you're going back to the rear wheel drive days of the Gran Prix compared to the front wheel drive, that's a whole other world.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. echo

Can't argue the EPA issue, however, new technology will eventually come along for more power. "Back in the day", I'm sure we all said the same thing about the first blowers we used.

Time will tell but if a little more weight is the only way to do it, IMO, its a small price to pay for more power.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

All i have to say is I like a brand that always starts by second pull and lasts ten years with heavy use. We always use 13 hp honda billy goat or little wonders for large cleanups as far as backpack blowers no one builds one like the green machine were or trimmers like they were but the best backpacks we have been able to find now is echo 770 easy on fuel always start .
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. echo

Never owned a Billy Goat but love the Little Wonder blowers. Run the Subaru 400 motor and with the exception of a hard pull to turn the engine its a beast. I can only imagine what the big wheeled blowers do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

more electrical issues with gran prix. The engine was fine. The 6.5 is actually a good motor. Am general bought the patents and made the block thicker and added more cooling capacity. The old 6.5 marine engines were pushing 600hp by peninsulardiesel and that would be close to 1000 ft of torque if not over. It only weights 200 more lbs than a 5.7. There is a reason why the humvee's still roll out of the factory with them :weightlifter: