1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Read this!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 23, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

First of all, let me say that this applies to all of the Lawnsite.com readers, and everyone else walking the face of North America!
    It may be alittle long winded, but you need to read it anyway.

Yesterday I got out my mower to mow my lawn. At the beginning, I was mowing around my mailbox at the side of the highway, and there's a small boulder/huge rock about 5 feet from the mailbox, somehow, my mower picked up something, I don't know if it was a rock or something else, I think a peice of plastic or something, and flung it up at my right eye. I suppose it hit the boulder and came back at me. That was yesterday afternoon. It hurt for a few minutes, and was watering, but I kept going thinking it didn't do anything. This a.m. I woke up and it took a couple hours for it to get to normal, it was watering and not wanting to stay open or focus on anything. So after a while it got some better but still felt like a headache and any brightness bothered the heck out of it. So scheduled an appointment at the optometrist (sp?) So a couple hours ago I went to him, and he looked at it and was really shocked- the whatever it was cut my eye (or lens???) 3/4 of the way through, he said 8-9mm through. I don't know exactly what he meant, but he put some special eyedrops in my eyes and put a contact lens over it as a patch thing and I have to put drops in every hour, and he expects it to be 4 or 5 days before it is healed. I have to go back in the morning and maybe again. No mowing or anything exciting for a couple days. He said that if we had not come to him, I would have been in the emergency room by tonight.
    Let this be a lesson to us:
    From now on I will wear at least sunglasses if not safety glasses when mowing. Before I would always wear safety glasses when string trimming, but now I'll wear something mowing too.
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Just a rule of thumb: Always check the yard you're mowing before you turn on the blades. Pick up all large twigs, rocks, and garbage. I'm sure you're careful but sometimes even the smallest things like a small peice of mulch can severly damage your eye. Although I never wear safety glasses while mowing, it probably would be a good idea. Always wear long pants and safety glasses while trimming and edging, and earplugs when using the blowers.
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing your misfortune with everyone. I hope your recovering well.

Its easy to take things for granted, sight isn't one of them.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yep...safety glasses are a priority for me. I'm a solo operator and cannot afford to lose an eye (or two) or incur any unnecessary 'downtime' from an eye injury.

I wear a pair of Silencio 'shooters glasses' with the amber lenses. They are a polycarbonite 'wraparound' style and work VERY well. They have been hammered a few times and I sure was glad I was wearing them. Stop into your local sporting goods/gun shop and look at the selection on high quality safety eyewear. It could save your vision.

Ear plugs are a good idea too...and not just because of noise. Ever thwor something small into your ear while edging...and couldn't get it out? It can happen...believe me.

I hope the eye recovers quickly, Eric...with no damage to your vision.

I just picked up a new client last week who was riding her mower and bounced a stone off of a tree into her eye...damaging the cornea...and resulting in permanently blurred vision. The ironic thing is that she was already totally blind...in the other eye. Now her "good eye" is bad too! :eek:
  5. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that!

I've never gotten deck/head fodder to the eye, but I know the pain well (I get corneal ulcers when I get stressed, same idea/pain)

Even some of the vetrans need reminders now and again... There's is nothing safe about our job. Blowpacks (400mph wind can MOVE some rocks too), trimmers, mowers, all our equipment has its inherent risks.

Not meaning to preach, but get yourself a good pair of tinted safety glasses (comfortable ones) Put em on, while you're driving to work, take em off, on the way home... Don't forget the safety glasses when you're doing shop maintenance too, gas splashes, who knows what's going to drop in your face while your under the deck trying to get the blades off. Sharpening blades shouldn't even need to be brought up, but when was the last time you saw someone sharpen blades with safety glasses on?

I've tried to 'beat' safety into helpers in years past, I've given up, I make sure they know what safety gear they need for each piece of equipment (Had a big yellow print out on the dash, with all our equipment listed and PPE required to use it) I make sure its stocked in the vehicle. It seems to take just such an accident to make them learn. And unfortunately, it seems to happen every year!

Glad your injury is only a temporary 'headache' make sure to use those drops (they're probably anti-biotics). And maybe it will be a good reminder to you (and through here, others) that there is a reason why our mowers/trimmers/etc have a yellow sticker on them listing all the required PPE.

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you got to the M.D. right away. I gotta say that I do not crank up anything (except the blower) w/o saftey glasses on. I have shaded and claer safety glasses (for foggy days or early morning cutting).

Forgot how many times I was cutting or trimming and a 'rock' hit my glasses hard! This happens about once a week. Just the right amount of time to remind me to keep those saftey glasses on.

I think I look better with them on anyway (ha!)

7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's all remember to wear safety glasses/faceshield when sharpening blades too. This morning after loading up my equipment I went back into the garage to sharpen 3 blades the neighbor had brought down yesterday for me to sharpen. I don't know what happened, but the 1"x10" grinding wheel on my blade grinder shattered. Nothing hurt, no damage (except to the guard) but I'm sure glad I was wearing a face shield. You never know when these things will happen.
  8. WildWes

WildWes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a bad experience to share here, it didn't result in injury thankfully. About 12 years ago while mowing my parents lawn on a tractor I saw a car coming down the road and figured I had time to turn around on their drive before the car would come by. A minute later ther's an irate man in the yard screaming at me. The mower had picked up a rock and shot it through his open window past his and his girlfriends faces exiting out her closed window. What a close call!! While the guy did finally admit he was going about 70mph, it was still my fault for guessing his speed and not disengaging the blades. It was a bad experience but a learning experience just the same, I imagine that one little rock could have seriously hurt either of them or maybe worse. Use caution at all times!
  9. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

my brother just got his new Viper and was using it and as normal grass was flying up form under the deck, well some how a little seed got in his eye and cupped on to it , same thing could see and was watery.Then the eye closed shut.he had to have it removed.Glasses are important.
  10. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

No telling how many times safety glasses have saved my in the shop and while mowing.