1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reading the Exmark forum

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Nov 7, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Every now and then I read some post on the Exmark forum (Great ZTR's) . There are many post wanting, wishing, hoping for the Ultra Cut to come back and/or be offered on the regular and XS models. Exmark is holding firm that the Triton is the better deck and will not offer it on the better ZTR's (in other words they are not listening to customer input). I sure don't see any one begging for them to put the Triton on the AS series. All my Exmark DVD's say Exmark listens and wants customer input to improve the product. It seems to me, even though the Exmark forum represents a small portion of Exmark owners over all that there is a demand for the Ultra Cut in top end ZTR's but no supply. They may be the largest ZTR manufacturer right now (and I've had 2 and love them) but there are definately some loyal customers jumping ship because of the Triton. I'm not trying to slam Exmark because I've always been fan of the Exmark brand and thought I would never own any other brand. I always considered Scag kind of dated, old fashioned, compared to the Exmarks but after a few hundred hours in the seat I no Longer feel that way. The Exmark is more nimble and refined but when it comes down to actually getting the grass cut the Velocity/ Ultra Cut/Deere 7 Iron decks, and even Gravely are getting less complaints than the Triton. Any one else seeing this trend? Or do we just hear more complaints about Exmark and Hustler because they have a forum on this site? They both have some great quality's. I think even John Gamba is wishing for an Ultra Cut option. He's on all the DVD's endorsing Exmark in case some of you didn't know.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I fully agree.

Just take that UC deck....make it all 7 gauge, tweak some things here and there, and call it something NEW!

But, they had a great design and started from scratch and really made a mess of a deck IMO.

I was die-hard eXmark all the way. Two different demo's of the TRITON and I went with Hustler.

If I'm going to spend $10K+ on a TOP OF THE LINE ZTR, I want to have the better deck available to me. Not have to go slower with less powerful engines to get the good deck.
  3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yep... i'm seeing this too. i just tell guys starting out in the biz this. the triton is a good deck but the ultracut was a great one. the only prob that i saw with the UC is the clumping. the triton never clumps but it doesnt mulch nearly as good as the UC. i tell guys if they are interested in an exmark... for discharge go with the triton but for mulching go with the UC. i have a 46 inch and a 66 inch triton and love both of them but i REALLY REALLY wish the UC was available as an option besides on the AS model because all i do is mulch. all the UC needed was to have "triton spindles" on it instead of those old hollow ones and get rid of the clumping problem. just my opinion but yes i see the trend you are seeing too tacoma....
  4. wolf man

wolf man LawnSite Member

The Ultra Cut Will Be Available On The Reg Lazer For 08, Powered By A 27 Kohler
  5. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

why not a kawasaki??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They need to offer it on the XS frame with the bigger engines.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

they brought back the ultra cut deck for a 27hp kohler 60" Z and a 23hp kohler 52" HP model for this year.

They believe in the Triton. I have had no issues on the ones I sold and they still havent' had the update kit put on. Guess it all depends on where you are cutting.
  9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Remeber the Triton and the turbo force are being made in the same plant. Exmark is now no longer #1 I dont know who is but they are definetly not.
    I bought a 56 at the beginning of the year I thought it was the worst mower I have ever used. The ultra cut is a great machine...... I bought a ferris and it runs great I am so glad I brought back that piece of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 56" Triton with the update kit and luv it. I never have mowed with a ultracut, but I have used other ZTR's in the past and it was a huge improvement. Even the guys that work with me say they notice a cleaner cut with less stragglers. Just my two cents.