Ready for full time ??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Phinc, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

Ok here's the deal. I am a welder, I weld racecar parts and build racecars. The summer is a slow time for us ( barely enuff work for 40 hrs). I started cutting grass to make some extra cash. I know "never quit you day job" is good advice but, when I can make twice as much money mowing a month. I don't plan on quiting welding anytime soon. So my question is when do you quit your day job and really start you own business ???? Winter time is our busy time building cars so I can do that in the off season. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Sorry if this was confusing too. I'm just starting to run outa daylight on the weekdays and I dont wanna tell anyone
    " i don't have time" .

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

there is no good time to do it.it is more a leap of faith.do it when you want to and don't look back.you can always supplement your income with your welding skills if necessary.good luck

3. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

i agrre with lowe no time is a good time .....this is my first year full time i quit my crappy job last month ....i only have alittle over 20 accounts but since i quit and have the time to dedicate to the buisness i have landed some pretty good mulch jobs that if working i wouldnt have time to do ....just save your money dont waaste it you dont know when its goin to get tight ...........................if i can do it you can good luck

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

six months to 1 year of available fluid cash in saveings

5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Are you working for a shop and they're paying you an hourly rate, or do you have your own equipment (and should be getting paid as a contractor)?

The reason I ask, is that no welder worth a damn (up here, anyways) is going to spend time looking for "other" work when he can weld.

Most welders I know don't even turn on their machines for less than $50.00.

6. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

I get an hourly rate, paid by the shop.