Ready for the world

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sammyd, Aug 3, 2005.

1. sammyd

sammyd LawnSite Member

First of all I just wanted to say hello to all LCO's out there. I've been in the military for the last seven years. Just got out about 6months ago. I've had countless number of bosses and served 5 tours to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Iraq. Which brings me to this site. I did my time and now it's time to move on. I've got 3 kids and a wife that never see me because of this. Ready to be my own boss

Any I'll get to the point before I start to bore you guys. I've reading this site for about a year now (religiously). My hat is off to you guys. I have having been saying up to do this the right way. I now have about 17K to get started and I already have a truck. Like any knew challenge, I'm a little bit nervous about jumping into it but my minds made up. I've worked for different lawn care/landscaping companies for extra cash but never on my own. I'm highly motivated and ready to go.
    Any advice, words of wisdom or motivation would be appreciated.

2. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

good luck to you sammy.. my advice would be to take your time and compare equipment ..choose what best fits your routine.. take your time and do good work the accounts will build on that ... c

3. sammyd

sammyd LawnSite Member

Thanks bro. I looked at your profile. 20 years. That's impresive.

I plan on waiting until the 06 seasons starts. You can believe I will be calling on you for advice. Thanks again. for the words.

4. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Good luck with it Sammy!

There is nothing more satisfying than working for yourself. I love my job, and it totally beats going to school (I should know I'm 3 years into my biz degree at university).

Don't let the tough times get you down, because there will always be better times around the horizon.

My company has been in business for 4 years and we do over 100K a year, but that's not without a lot of work. They always say the first 5 years are the toughest for any new business, and I can attest to that!

Good luck to ya!

5. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

It sounds like you are well on your way and have the right attitude to get the job done. With a truck already and 17K saved you certainly have everything you need to get started. As far as equipment, one suggestion would be to find a realiable local dealer whose equipment suits your needs and go from there. Good luck you will find a lot of help on here.

6. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Sammy,

The best advice I can give you is take your time and do it right.
    You will read many different opinions on how to conduct business, gain clientele etc. Do what works best for you in your area. One of the best means of advertising for my company is word of mouth and doing quality work. Your work should speak for itself. Over time you will build a reputation and that will lead potential clients your way.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    I would like to thank you for your service to this country. It is because of people like you that we are able to do our jobs and enjoy our freedom.

Again thank you,

Jason

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First of all,...I would like to say thank you. That is from all of us here at MY home, and all of us here on LS. You have found the No. tool you can ever have for this business, and it's right here at your fingertips. You have SO much to learn, and we are able to give you miles and miles of headstart in this business. there is so much technique, method, and order to do things that willl save you so much time, unfortunately, you will never really appreciate it to the fullest because we are going to have you skipping over alot of the "trial & error"/experience/learning steps. yuo will be able to cut to the chase on alot of these operation methods and be more efficient than some people who have been into it for years. (I've been in this for 20 years, and Lord, if I only knew 10 years ago what I know today). Hold on, sit back, read and learn, and don't be afraid to ask questions. It sounds like you are going to have some purchasing issues coming up here pretty quick, so some reearch on equipment is at hand. Good luck to you, and I wish you all the best.