Ready to Buy a Toro Dingo...wich one?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Evan528, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys, I will most likly be placing my order for a new dingo this week. I cant decide between the traked model and the one with the tires. What are the advantages for each? I will be using this machine for mulching, topsoil and lanscape installations primarily on residential properties. Id love some feed back as I dont want to spend all this money and then regret getting the model that I did.

Ps. Im leaning towards the wheeled model only because it have a platform to stand on. Yeah....im getting lazy

2. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Get the plat form with wheels. Comes in handy if you ever wnna put a harley rake on it and grade small spots for a lawn and such. Also I have noticed that the treads dont tear up the lawn as much if you use them right and dont turn alot. Of course it always ends up being used wrong anyways so I prefer the one with tires. You wouldnt believe how much that stands come in handy either. Like we had a job that we were building a huge boulder retaining wall in the back. There was an opening only big enough for the dingo to get back there because of trees. Well it was a huge lot and being able to stand on the back lets you move along alot faster.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Demo both of them , if you are spending that type of money have the dealer bring each one out to the job and run both.

4. G&S LANDSCAPING

G&S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

:D Just bought last week a Toro dingo tx-420 , tracked model. Last year i demoed a 322 wheeled model, and it would tear up alot of turf, and it would not fit on my low pro dump trailer that has a 5 foot eguiptment ramp . it would bottom out. and i did not want to use another set of ramps. The tracked model will run you about $1,000 more, but will be able to go thru any conditions. Bottom line is get what model works best for you. And rember to charge a fair equiptment per hour price, for your machine and your labor. I charge $95.00 per hour for the mini skid steer and $ 40.00 per hour for labor rate. Total $135.00 per hour. good luck with your purchase.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Evan ..I think we had a similar discussion before...We have a MT50 Bobcat ... I would definitely go with the tracked if I were you...more power I'm sure. I can't recall the wheeled brand we demo'd but it had a platform to stand on too....junk in my opinion.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Kris, why do you prefer the tracks? The one of the biggest thing shying me away from a track machine is there size.....they are about double the size of the wheeled unit. I want a machine that can weeve in and out of flow beds......and of course do the least damage to turf im riding over....

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I think ours is about 32" wide ... not that bad. I can only really talk about the machine we own... and I think if I remember correctly from our last discussion they were really close in engine size etc to the tracked unit your thinking of buying.

Why do I like it...it's stable, it can dig ..lots of power(lifts 2" caliper trees with 36" root balls off a trailer no problem)and it's great in muddy conditions. Last fall I had to bring it into a job that our 863 was slipping and sliding all over. Sure it obviously took longer than a big machine would but it got the job done...very next day we were shut down for the season due to a heavy snow... couldn't have finished with out that baby.

It will do damage to turf ...we didn't buy it for that purpose though. It's main task for us is to get into places ( between houses ) that our other machines can't go. We are 90% new home or complete renovation design/build company.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan, I too think you should go w/ the tracked model. We have rented this machine in the past for jobs where a skid steer is a little too big. I think the tracked version we rented had a platform (its been awhile). Less turf damage, better when ground is wet by far. Worth the extra denaro imho.
    Good luck w/ your choice and of course ... post pics!!

9. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I was able to demo different Dingo's at an open house here in Jersey. I tested both tracked and wheeled with different attachments. In my opinion, I didn't like the unit that you stood on (it was wheeled with a backhoe attachment). It was very jerky when turning and I didn't feel safe operating it. I test drove it over curbs and on a slight incline. It broke up the grass (well, weeds) to shreds. Now, I realize this is in part due to the weight of the backhoe. As a side note, the backhoe attachment was GREAT!! Lots of power (realizing it's limitations for the size machine) and controls were easy and fluid.

I also demoed a tracked Dingo with a 24" (?) auger. Was smooth turning and handled the curb well with the attachment on. Still beat up the turf, but not nearly as much as the wheeled stand-on version and a wheeled one with a bucket. I especially like how it handled itself from a stopped position. The wheels seemed to spin for awhile before grabbing a hold and moving. This was on both turf and loose, more on the sandy side, type of soil. The tracked Dingo seemed to start moving right away, especially on a hill. As far as the soily area, it handled fine and didn't seem to sink at all. Just my limited experience at a demo ~two weeks ago. Hope it helps.

10. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just curious what a dingo costs. I could use a unit that is versitile as the dingo is, but haven't really asked around too much to find out. Thanks for your help!