Ready to buy a trailer and walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Watson's Landscaping, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys I pretty much have my mind made up on the trailer, but for the mower i dont know
    I know I want a exmark
    but the question is do I take 0 payment and 0 interest for 12 months for a new 36" exmark
    or do I pay $1200 for a 3or4 year old 32" exmark that was used 10 to 15 times a week?
    Thanks for the help

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

How many accounts do you have ? Is a 32 big/small enough ??
  3. Watson's Landscaping

I have 12 res. accounts and am working on getting in with a home owners asocation for there common areas I would like a 36" but really how much more time will it save me over the 32"
  4. HandyHomeMedic

HandyHomeMedic LawnSite Member

I'm not sure the question is 36" vs. 32". If you're taking on larger accounts with common areas (not fenced in), why aren't we looking at 54" or greater? Speed + Capacity = productivity and $$$$:cool2:
  5. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You will probably need something bigger than a 36" for home owner associations. We have a 36" walk behind and on some of our apartments it did not even leave the trailer unless it was for a couple small swipes in front of a couple buildings. There is nothing wrong with buying used if it is a good quality machine at a good price.
  6. Watson's Landscaping

hey guys thanks, I'm not looking at 54" or bigger because it also has to be able to work for me on the res. so 36" is as big as I can go.
  7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

don't get anything less than 48". if you have a lot of 36" fence gates sure get a 36" but only 1 or 2 do it with a 21" do it right and get a 48" zero will be able to cut a lot more yards in that same time period. and make lots more money which will pay for the mower in one year. make sure your charging enough no less than $80 hour mowing.
  8. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 21",44" and a 48" on the truck

i use the 21 for a few things i could use a 36 on... really i think every lco should own one... i'm looking for a used one so i can dx the 21..

However just for info the 44" cuts faster and nicer then the 48" so i frequntly blow the dust off the 48" or use it on my own lawn..

just something to consider

good luck