Ready to buy my 48" - Here are the options!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscaping, Nov 5, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

Quick details for those who don't know.

- Small landscape company expanding next year.
    - Used for 15-20 yards, about the same number of hours per week.
    - I am okay with hydro or belt.

Here are the options. Let me know what you think is the best option for my situation. Most of my properties are fairly flat, few hills. I do not mow when it is wet outside, maybe a little dew in the morning but that's about it.

SCAG 48" Advantage Deck, 17 hp Kawi, 4 years old, very good condition, belt drive, small problem with 5th gear. Says it's a belt tension problem but I suspect the transmission. With velke and grass gobbler.

$1850 (And possible fixes to belt driven system)

EXMARK 48" Metro $1800, 2005, low hours (Under 300), 15 hp kawi, belt drive, good condition, a few glitches but nothing very serious. No real problems that interfere with use. With grass catcher.

LESCO Hydro, Commercial 48" Deck. 17 hp kawi, very good condition, 2004 model, everything in very very good working order. Just turned 800 hours. Been very well maintained, low use by operator due to ride-on equipment. With grass catcher. Hydros even and work great.

Let me know what you think!!! Thanks guys... wish me luck. Will post pics when I get it
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark 48.
  3. advantage landscaping

4. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

exmark.....hands down, cant go wrong with them... I would not even look at that scag.

SCAG=**** :walking:
  5. advantage landscaping

Nobody looking at the hydro? Interesting....
  6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

the only walk behind i have ever used is Lesco. only routine maintenance. only repairs have been things we've caused. i cant say that about your machine, but ours.... still running strong. cuts amazing, leaves amazing stripes.
  7. advantage landscaping

hoping for a few more responses....
  8. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

If I were you I would look into a Quick 44 Samurai from Better Outdoor Products. 16 horse kawasaki motor and single hydro drive for about the price of a belt drive. Should be great, especially because you said you don't mow any hills.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

LESCO ALL THE WAY. In my opinion lesco and cubcadet commercial mowers are the best on the market. For the price you cant beat them so id take the deal on the lesco.
  10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark, because it cuts better than my Scag.