Ready to buy - Scag or Lazer Hp?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Norway911, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Norway911

Norway911 LawnSite Member

Thanks to those who have already helped me in previous posts. I demoed the Scag Tiger Cub and the Lazer HP last week. To be precise…Scag 48” 21hp Kaw (I would most likely get the 52”) and the Lazer HP 52” 23hp Kaw. I think most of the standard features speak for themselves, but here is what I noticed/thought...

I was only able to put about three hours on each machine over the two days that I had them, we actually had some rain and the conditions weren’t so great. I was able to run them both in wet grass for a few minutes and the Exmark seemed to cut better than the Cub. On dry grass I didn’t really notice a difference in the quality of cut between the two. The Scag seemed to stripe just a tiny bit better but I am sure that putting the stripping kit on the Lazer would solve that pretty darn quick. I didn’t see any evidence of the Scag deck actually standing the grass up before it cut it, maybe it has to be set pretty low?

At no point did I feel like I didn’t have enough power, I felt like I had a lot of power on both. The Cub really impressed me at one account which I do for the city, the grass was rather tall and thick, probably at least 5 to 7 inches in some areas and had some very tall weeds too. It zipped right through them without any problems at all. It is funny because this lot has a old battered vacant house on it, looks terrible, but is the best grass on the street! LOL! I didn’t get a chance to try the Lazer out there because the trailer was parked on a major road and was tying up traffic. I am sure it would have done a fine job too! But both machines felt the same on the hills.

To me at least the ride seemed to be about the same. I felt that the Scag was very hard to control, I had to put much more muscle into it than the Lazer. The Scag was brand spanking new, zero hours, I thought maybe that might have something to do with it but the dealer didn’t think so.

I see what people were saying about when you take one hand off the controls of the Lazer it will continue going straight, I thought that was great. The Lazer was much easier to control, much easier to go straight.

My only gripe about the Lazer is the fact that you have to reach down between your legs to get to the controls. The Scag is on the left side, easy to get too. But I am sure I would adjust quickly to reaching down.

Firefighter pointed out to me in an earlier post that blade rpm on the Scag was 19,400 and only 18,000 something on the Exmark, does this really matter? Will a thousand or less rpm really make a difference and if so what does it mean?

For those of you who saw my other posts when I demoed the Ferris IS 3000 and it scalping in spots where I didn’t think it should, the Lazer and the Scag went over those same spots no problem. I really do think now that the IS system makes the Ferris scalp more than it should.

Another thing to point out…this dealer just started selling Scag last week, I was the first person to even talk to him about one, I am wondering if because of his lack of knowledge on the Scag I should stick with Exmark, which he has has been selling for over 10 years. I knew more about the Scag than he did.

All in all I am really leaning towards the Exmark. I feel it would fit in very well for me. I have a price of $7399 for the Lazer 52” 23hp Kaw, and $7599 for the 52” 23hp Kaw Scag. How do these prices sound? What do you guys think? Any feed back from anyone running these machines would be wonderful! Thanks in advance! Hopefully I can make a purchase this week!

Funny side note...I got the Lazer stuck in a ditch while doing my own lawn, good thing the neighbor has a big JD tractor, had it out in 30 seconds. Good thing I learned my lesson there and not out somewhere else where I would have to call for a tow!

2. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

I havent had the chance to run my eXmark 48" Hp like I would like to due to the buckhorn in many areas but where their was no buckhorn I could run full speed 3/4 throttle and not have any stragglers as i like to call missed blades of grass. I also now that if you have problems cutting buckhorn which i understand Scags and eXmark both have problems cutting buckhorn try toying with your throttle slowing rpms helps me a lot. OVERALL I WOULD GO WITH THE EXMARK NO ONE COMES CLOSE TO THE QUALITY.

Jareds Lawn Maintenance

A little more for a lot less

3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

They are both great mowers, no matter what you won't go wrong....

BUT, I just bought a new 48" Tiger Cub with the 19 HP Kawi for $5800 plus tax... From what the dealer told me, Scag ran a promo on the 48's and each dealer was given two to sell at $5995.. I wanted to buy a 52", but couldn't justify spending $1700 more for it...

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

52" eXmark Lazer HP 23hp Kawi. Just about a perfect machine!

Those figures for blade tip speed on the SCAG are just not correct.

Buy the Exmark and be done with it!

5. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Prices on the exmark and the scag seem to high ¿

In Ohio I priced the 52" exmark for around $7.100.00.
    and the cub scag for $6995.00. What I did was, get on the internet and search for dealers in your area, within 100 miles. Get the cheapest price and have them e-mail price. Then go to your nearest dealer and they should match it. Thats what I did.

6. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

The prices seem good. I bought a Scag Tiger Cub this Spring and spent over $8,000 here in MI.

It makes more sense for you to go with the Exmark, given your dealer has more exoperience with them. I personally demoed both units this Spring and chose the Scag over the exmark for a few factors:
    1. the construction and materials used on the Scag seem much better

2. I liked the ride of the Scag better, it appeared to be better balanced, less chop.

3. The exmark controls seemed wimpy to me, I actually like a little resistance. It feels a little more heavy-duty. Compare the steering dampers of the two. The Scag's are twice the size of the Exmark.

Overall you can't go wrong. They are both excellent products and will serve you well for years.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

they both look fine . my pick the lazer hp.
    just based on the fact they get the bast
    comments here on the forum .
    and umm, i just like the whole lazer package.

8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

i couldnt imagine paying 7500 bucks for a Tiger Cub. i am only paying around 8000 for my full size TTs with 25 and 27hp motors.

i agree with everyone else, they are both great machines. the dealer being new to the scag game would make me shy away. sounds to me like you have your mind set on the exmark.

9. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

You said the Ferris seemed to scalp where the others did not. Do you think that this could have been due to the Ferris having a 61" deck and the others having a 52" and 48"? Since I have had my 3000 Ferris for several weeks now I have had it scalp in a few spots and was wondering if it was because I was trying to go to fast over some really rough uneven areas? I didn't scalp in these places with my 48" Ferris but I was going slower in the areas also. I do have some areas that I don't scalp with the 3000 that I did with the 1000. It is strange and I can't figure it out. I have noticed that when I cut at 3" with my 3000 seems to be lower than 3" on my 1000. Guess I am going to have to do some deck adjusting. I am not looking foward to that. How was the hill holding abilities of the Ferris compared to the others?

10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the scag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D