ready to go back to solo

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CLARK LAWN, Nov 2, 2010.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

after having employees for the last 4 years i am to the point were i am ready to fire them all downsize and just work solo. i am so tired of the excuses, damaging property, beating up equipment. i know many of you have done this. what are the pros and cons to this move.

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

about half the income i once had

3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I feel the same way. Only problem is I can't do it solo anymore, wish I could.

Even if I could now one day I would not be able to so I may as well stick with it.

I do tired of putting up with them, but they put up with me. :laugh:

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't mean to sound sarcastic but if you cant handle a business with only 4 employees then maybe running a business is not something you were meant to do.
    I think guys that run solo operations as their only source of income are nuts.
    Why dont you try to get a job with a large company?

5. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

where clark and I are from a solo operator can make in day what a crew member can make in a week. there are too many solo operators in our market that it is too hard to find quality employees for the money that you have to pay them, the way our economy has affected the job market everyone has gone out an bought used equpment to start their own illigitimate money maker to offset their loss in income while the govt pays the other 80%. However few of these can stand the test of time b/c of poor quality and service and those of us who have been around can keep plugging along. Managing crews of less than 10 people just isn't what it could be and often is in other areas of the states. If you can offer multiple services and have crews dedicated to them such as irrigation and lighting or other forms of installs then the profit margin is there to justify multiple crews, but that form of business is not for everyone

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to disagree. This is my 3rd season and I think I am doing ok being solo. I limit my outside jobs and take care of my regular customers. They all seem happy with my service. I use part time help for my large jobs.All of my equipment is paid for.

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Wish you luck!

8. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

It is hard work and determination.Who knows maybe in 5 years I might have some employees but until I see the need I will stay solo.

9. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I've been solo for (5) years, had a crew before that & I only work on average half a week now & I've made good $ over the years. Bigger is not always better. I make more $ solo. I've got friends that were once solo, now have several crews, expensive trucks and equipment and I sit back and watch them struggle, on the verge of losing everything because they grew to fast. I suspect a lot of folks don't have the ability to operate a large business, the know how of. I was once in that predicament myself & it took yrs for me to get where I am today. Being "solo" shouldn't be seen as a negative, lots of businessmen think being solo casts them in a negative light, don't see themselves as successful as the other big company out there. That is a bunch of bull.

10. JD2320

JD2320 LawnSite Member

Why do you say that?