Ready to look into remotes

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jan 22, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

OK I am ready to look into remotes for this year. probably two. I know we have discussed before, and I could do a search within LS for our other threads, but I want new advice. And hopefully we won't stray from the subject. :)

So...... what am I looking for. Brand, new/used, how old if used, price, etc. I know nothing about them at this point. I did find two on Ebay and one is located here in Colorado.

I also have one landscape company I work with that has had one for years but never uses it. We have briefly discussed me buying it. I work on a lot of his properties. 200+ each year. I want to talk with him about starting to add pigtails to at least the larger systems. Thanks guys.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing like a glass of vintage port when you search for remotes. I got a Sidekick on eBay.
    [​IMG]

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Thread jacker! :rolleyes:

So what in a Sidekick is better than other models?

4. Wet_Boots

It was better because something was messed up in the auction, and I got it for cheap. (and promptly forgot about it, since I use the free SRR remote I got with a stack of SRC controllers)

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Gotcha. I m needing one that I can hook to just about any controller out there. One I can have a pigtail with clips to attach at the terminals. I know there will be some that I can't attach to, but to the large assortment of newer controllers anyway. And I will start to see if I can push pigtails to some clients as well.

6. Wet_Boots

There still needs to be a cheap weatherproof connector for these things. Nothing I've seen really looks good, or affordable.

7. Remotes begin and end with RainMaster in my opinion. Durable and you can always buy a pigtail cheap from my alter ego and solder clips on. But seriously I've been using remotes for 15 years and RainMaster tops them all. TRCs have a friggin delay after pressing the button that will drive you nuts plus they are not nearly as durable. Hunter's is not universal.I know of two Lawnsiters who will concur. The last RainMaster I saw on Ebay London out bid me for. I dropped off at 500 and I think he got it for 900? Hopefully He'll jump in and correct me.

8. Wet_Boots

For eight hundred and change, I'll live with a delay. Goodness knows I deal with delays on some of the controller manual watering, when winterizing.

9. We all have our standards I guess.

10. Wet_Boots

Hey, if I can use a SRR, I have a wide latitude.