1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ready to spaz...Need to vent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 24, 2002.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I apologize in advance, but I need to vent today. I am going absolutly nuts this spring here in western PA. It rains every other day, its warm, and in three days time my customer's grass is 6" tall! I'm working everyday till dark, trying to cut in the rain, and getting some help whenever I can - and still can't keep up or make the lawns look good! Today I had to go over everyone's lawn at least 4 times with the mower, plus blow off the whole yard with the backpack. Everyday I get farther behind because of the extra time I have to spend on each lawn. I wasn't neglecting these lawns, most are only a week out - they are growing 2" a day and are soaked! I'm not getting any extra $$$ for all the effort, and am getting snyde remarks from my customers about the way the lawn looks after the cut. On top of all this a lot of my customers are getting Chem Lawn to come out and dump a ton of nitrogen (after I told them I would do the fertilizing)! I am showing up with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and can't make the lawn look good. Any pointers would be definately appreciated. :(
  2. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Don't give up. Were all in the same boat after the 90 Degree weather last week. I guess it is better to have major growth instead of no growth. I spoke with most of my customers today and recommended going to a cut every five days instead of every seven. I also recommended vacumm/bagging clippings on the next cut. All were in agreement.:D
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think we all have been in a similar state of weather. Its called sheety weather. Try to look past it and towards the nice days of low humidity and clear skies.

Those Chem'bomb blues. Try your best to explain about N and three inches of standing water to your customers.
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I tow a trac vac behind my ZTR sometimes.

I bought it for leaf season, but it gobbles an amazing amount of grass, since the impeller blades also mulch it down.

Charge a little extra if you can.

Go through with the vac once and you should be back on schedule in no time, and the yards will look incredible.

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same with the trac vac on my lazer. If I am way behind, the grass is wet, and long I put it on and just bag them up. Saves alot of mess, and time.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Do the best you can, who they gonna call..................somebody else that's in the same shape you are?

It'll dry up soon, like it did down south. No rain in sight now!
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Can we please have some of that rain down here. It's very dry here. LOL. I understand how you feel. It won't be too much longer before we will be going through the same thing. It seems like sometimes it's either too dry or too wet. Hang in there and good luck.
  8. Not so much for the money, but to get the finger of blame pointed back where it should be. The weather's to blame and if you "document" that fact by charging another buck or two it'll take the pressure off of you.

9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you hire temporary labor to help you get caught up ? If you find someone you work well with you can arrange to hire them until you get caught up.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

this situation is one area that having a ztr changed a lot for
    me . now if i run full throttle[my throttle vnot the zs] i can double work production.
    just a thought.