real bad blowout problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by longviewlawncare, Nov 23, 2002.

1. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bad blowout problem on my new ferris walk behind. Without the bagger it blows out as bad as it does with the bagger on the side. I have checked deck pitch, tire pressure, tried moving the blades higher up into the deck. I am running magnum gators b/c this is all my dealer stocks gator wise. I tried the standard blades also still to much blow out to use bagger. Any help will be much appriciated
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sorry I can't help with a suggestion but I thought I'd ask you to clarify.

do you mean to say that you got too much blow out to use the bagger?

you mean as much or more blows out as goes in the bag?

if you say YES then there is a real problem!

my lesco 48 has what I call alot of blow out but the bagger works great.

I think it's not gonna all go in the bag under leaf mulching conditions.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: when you say blowout, do you mean as your walking with the mower leaves and grass blow from the front of the deck. tony
  4. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, i get blowout from the front of the deck. The bagger works fine, but b/c of the blowout in the front it causes problems. I know some companys offer an antiblowout baffle but i do not know id ferris does or not.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Is it what I would rather refer to as "blow away"? In other words you can't catch or mulch what you can't run down and get under the deck?

I've had some of the same problem with this myself this year. I believe this is a result of 2 things. A slight change in blade design (blade sets lower in deck) and I also adjusted my deck to the "correct" pitch. 1/4 lower in front.

It was a pain getting the deck pitch set so I'm not changing it. Nothing else does and good of a job mulching leaves as Gators. There is no additional blow out baffles for my mower. So I'm stuck with making my own!!!

My first suggestion is scrap the Magnums and get yourself a set of regular lift, inside flow shreading tip Gators, or a set of Raptor blades or Eliminator blades.

If that doesn't help and there is no baffle for your unit either, I have a cheap quick fix for you to try....

Run over to Lowes/Home Depot and grab a short roll of that crappy old black plastic landscape edging. $5-6 a roll. Take it, turn it upside down with the bubbled edge towards the ground. If the bubble is oreinted more to one side than the other, turn that side towards the deck. Cut a proper length to fit the deck edge. Take some good duct tape and stick it on real good. Try it out and adjust the amount hanging below the deck edge. Too much and it's a leaf plow, too little and it will have no effect.

Once you are happy, find a more sensable way to attach it so you don't look like Sanford & Son Lawn Service:laugh:
  6. MrFikit

MrFikit LawnSite Member

There's a kit for your blowout now. As for the Ferris, make sure the dek is level all the way around. It can be as much as 1/4" higher in the front than the back. Also. make sure all of the baffles under the deck are still there and in tact. Go back to the standard lift blades and try that. Hi-lift blades cause too much air flow than the deck can handle and will force it out under the deck.
    If all else fails, let the manufacturer know there is a problem.
    Hope this helps.
  7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Attach heavy duty canvas to the front of the deck with bolts,this will work.