Real Estate Agent PITA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jun 12, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Sunday I get a call to give out a quote on mowing. Since I was doing a couple of other jobs I tell the lady on the phone that I'll be there at 3:45PM. Since it's 2:10PM, I figure I should be there on time and...I am. But when I show up, the ladies husband comes out. "Hi, I understand you're looking to get your lawn mowed every week?" I say.
    He says... "Well, not every week, I think it only needs it every two weeks." I look at the grass and theres alot of moss so I concur. He then shows me some higher grass he needs chopped down. Tells me he selling the house and moving across town. In conversation, I find out he's a real estate agent. I size up the lawn and give him my quote sheet. "I'll do the first cut for $40 due to the being a little higher than normal, and every two weeks for $38." I handed him the sheet pointing out the prices. "Let's say you cut it today for $40, and every two weeks for $35." He wasn't asking me...he was telling me. I used to be a car salesman, and this type of customer I usually walked away from. I can't really put into words, but this guy had *&^hole written all over him. "Sir, I don't have any clients on a 14 day basis that I do for less than $38."
    "Fine," he says "Why don't you do the lawn today for $40, and let me think about the $38 for every two weeks..."
    It's Sunday, and this guy is fussing over $3! If you really want to break it down...he's fussing about $1.50 a week! "I told him the $40 I was quoting him was based on doing the work today and mowing every other week. If he wanted just todays mowing, it's a flat $60 and hour. My time is my time. And it counts for something. Stay tuned for the other shoe!

2. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I talk to people like that all the time; I feel them out and if I know it is a onetime cut nothing under 70 comes out of my mouth. If it's tall to you is it worth blowing a belt wearing harder than normal on the engine?? more gas... I think he probably couldn't grasp just the 2 or 3 dollar dif should've said yeah forst cut 60 all other cuts 40... if he didn't call before he was moving when hemoves forget about the last cuts pay unless you take him to court.

Heres my laugh of the week; can you trim in the woods? I said I can are you willing for 30 dollars more? No! ok would you like to forgo some other part of your service ie edgeing? No! SORRY no can do. Not for a 30 dollar account which is in my opinion is generous because of her age and situation. Give an inch they always take a mile.

People say well doing good deeds will pay off....I think it never will nothings for free these people wouldn't not clock in and work for their employer and I will not give hand outs for nothing..ahhhhhhhhh now my griping is done

3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You have to play them at their own game, and if so let em' walk (which is usually best)

Real Estate agent = Their personal credit card on file with auto billing

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Doctors, Lawyers and Realtors. I didn't work for many of them during my 13 years as an LCO. Once I had to wait 16 months for payment on a tree job because the Real Estate Agent didn't clear the work with an out of state owner.

Oldtimer

5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've done A LOT of work (almost $16K just last year) for a Remax agent.
    Best customer imaginable.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I guess it just depends on the person more than the "craft". Normally I would have walked away but I'm trying for a certain goal this month and picked him up. I'll only be in for about $78 by the time I send his his bill, and I know where he works. ;)

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, someone calls on sunday at 2:10pm and want it done today? That right there is so the big red flag, I don't even offer same day service to my regular customers lol (no, I really don't). Then, they want to get funny? Of course, the fact he's a Real Estate Agent explains most of this, I usually don't work for this kind of person, it's a bit like the not working for the middle eastern phylosophy.

I quote jokers like this about double the price myself, 70 is a very good quote.

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same, someone calls me on Sunday and they're luck if I even answer the phone let alone come out and cut a lawn.

I totally understand being totally desperate for business but anymore these days, the answering machine takes all calls from 6:00pm Fridays through Sunday evening. Calls will be returned Monday morning...Thank you for calling and enjoy your weekend.