real estate companys

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jacob land and, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

last season i called a few local real estate companys to see if they were happy with their lawn service companys and i got kind of a cold shoulder, i know it was late but still? are real estate companys worth pursuing this season or are they not interested in lawn companys? i thought that they had to have a company mowing their propertys where no one lived at, am i wrong or what?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We have in the past worked for a few real estate companies. I have read where some have said it's hard to get payment from them, but with our experience, we never had a problem.
    I sent a letter to a couple realtors in the spring one year and enclosed some business cards.
    A lot of times these realtors aren't looking for top notch service, they are just looking to keep the property maintained so it can sell. Do not price by the cut, you may get burned because more then likely they won't want weekly service. We charged a flat monthly fee to maintain the property. Real estate properties are ok i guess to use as fill in work, but it's been our experience they aren't the best accounts to have. If you need extra fill in work, send out a professional looking letter. I think I started the letter out something like this:

Dear (insert realtor's name)
    Your clients are in a hurry to sell their home. Why not let the lawn be the welcome mat that catches the eye of the prospective buyer. (Insert your business name) can help you get your houses noticed and sold .. blah, blah, blah, and so on. Corny I know, but it caught the eyes of both realtors we sent it to.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'm going to a meeting with about 150 local realtors in a month,mainly to give a seminar about landscaping and how it increases curb appeal,show them before and after pics,explain which colors stand out best,etc.,,I'll ask them what they think is the best way for a lawn care company to approach them and I'll let ya know what I find out.

4. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Realtor are a good way to make money and land commercial jobs. Say a big company buys some land builds a building, So he asks the Realtor who is a good company to do my maintenance, She refers your company to the person. I've got a bunch of jobs from my mom who's a Realtor. I would also go talk to the banks, I do alot of jobs for the banks just mow down the grass and go. If you get the connections with these two place you can be making easy money.

5. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Last year a realtor called out of the blue with a few of homes they need taken care of. I tell you what they are the easiest people to work with. They called told me what properties they needed maintained and didnt even want an estimate. So i mow, bill them once a month and get paid. No questions asked. By the end of the year i was doing 7 properties for them. But there is a down side. Not all of their properties are in the area i like to stay in. So i just charge a little more for the ones out of the way. My partner called them last week to touch base with them and they will be using us for sure. So with my experience with them they are good to get in with. I wonder who really pays for the lawn maintenance the realtor or do they pass on the costs to the future homeowner?

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it really depends upon the agreeement. I know a few of the properties we mainainted, the realtor contacted us for the seller and set up the terms, but it was the seller themselves that footed the bill at the end of the month. And then sometimes it was the realtor that would pay us.

7. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i guess as long as i get payed every month it really makes no difference to mepayup .

8. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Worked for a few realtors this is the way it was handled on my end as well. Realtor sets it up, passes it on to the home owner who now lives in a different state/city or whatever, Sometimes you win with this... Sometimes you don't. Had one guy refuse to pay for last cut because it was a week before the purchase closing on the house. So take it for what's it worth!

9. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

thanks guys it definitly sounds worth pursuing, i will try the bank to that was a good idea i missed.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We got in with a real estate company last year and what a PITA! They wanted dirt cheap prices and I really can't answer what they looked for in the finished product. I bid several apartment complexes and I thought is was a very very competitive bid and I was sent a letter stating "Thank you for taking the time and effort to consider our properties...yada yada yada. The one property had 6 separate buildings right next to each other and not very big yards but it came out to an unbelievable rate of $10.68 per yard (granted we could have done the 12 yards in roughly 1 1/2 hrs but come on. We were "considerably higher" than the lowest bidder. Whatever! I'm not wasting my time and effort anymore on real estate companies:mad: