1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Real Estate Firms...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rawx2, Mar 21, 2005.

1. rawx2

rawx2 LawnSite Member

Do any of you have any experience with Real Estate Firms?

If so, did you do a 'revolving' contract or a flat fee?

Or are they just too much of a hassle?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

now are you talking about working at their company, or maintaining properties for them?

I do both, and the one that I work through they are great. They always give me properties throughout the year. But I have worked for some in the past which are a complete @ss.
  3. rawx2

rawx2 LawnSite Member

I was speaking of maintaining the lawns for them :).

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

whenever the real etate company calls me up it is for one of three reasons
    1. the lawn has never been mowed and they need it taken care of for showing
    2. they want the lawn taken care of better for showing
    3. they are doing a closing and want the lawn to look great for the customer when they buy it

I usually charge on average, $10 to $15 more for properties that they send my way. I look at it this way, they are making a lot of money off from the sale, and more than likely this is the last time that I will maintain the property. So if I am going to do it, I want it to be worth my time
  5. rawx2

rawx2 LawnSite Member

I see what you mean.

That was the bulk of my question before I retyped it. I know it's hard to answer because every Real Estate Company is different from the other except the fact that they buy houses, and need to sell them.

I was just think of places I was going to write down for future consideration and real estate popped into my head. At the least I figured if it was a one time mowing for a showing then if they let me pop the yard sign on the property somewhere the possible new owners would have someone to call in their head already.

Also, I thought it would be a pretty decent contract to have considering they have so many properties.
  6. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Some residential leasing agents and ppty.-managers add 10-15% to any bill and some add $10-15 to any bill - ASK THEM what their percentage markup is to the actual property owner of record - so you can bid more effectively. If you're dealing with them, the rule of the road is "Always leave something for the other guy" to profit a little on.

For those select properties, never hesitate to mail your flyer or proposal to the actual property owner of record that you can find online at your city or county's Recorder of Deeds or Assessor's online database. Sometimes ppty-managers can blow you off year after year for whoever's giving them kickbacks on the account, and when dealing with the owner of record you can "cut to the bottom line" with them instead - if you're repeatedly running into the wall on this with the ppty.-mgrs.

Regardless, quote them a price-per month or mow depending on what's customary for them. Then on the actual write-up feature: $10-15 more-per - WITH a prompt-payment-discount of that same $10-15 !!
    This way you get feedback from them on your follow-up sales call and they say "i thought the price was ($)" - you say: "it is - when we're not waiting more than ___ days for our money, friend, you can understand our position here can't you? (big sincere smile)". (they get indignant: just say: we pay our bills on time, you do too, don't you, friend?").

You better believe they got this kinda pricing strategy with their tenants' leases !!

Best Regards
  7. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

real estate firms will be your best client but your worst customer........... what i mean is they will send you tons of work if ur quality is there, but then they want it cheaper than dirt. i do lots and lots of bids for them and charge them for the bids as well b/c it got to the point where i was running all over town doing bids for them sometimes 20-30 per week. i charge them $45 to bid it them take it out of that if they do the job. i dont lower my set standards for pricing either. i have a quality service, you pay for it and get it or you dont. once you lower the price for them one time they see that u have a soft spot and will work you everytime until u aint makin no money on stuff. i learned these things the hard way with the smaller fims before chucking up to the bigger ones. all in all they are good if you get the volume. for me i havent had any problems with payment. do the job then next friday i have a check in my mail box. easy enough for me.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I just run as fast as I can from em, never had a good dealing with any of the local companies.

Try a national mortgage company, there's more money there than with the local steal estate agents!
  9. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

I don't do lawns. I do mostly bush hogging and new lawn installs. About 10 years back, I hooked up with a realtor to do several vacant lots they had listed. They gave me lots of work (Get it? LOTS....real estate?? Oh well, It's early in the morning...That's about as funny as I get this early) :cool2: :D

Over the past few years, I've gone after several "commercial realtors" that represent large industrial parks, shopping centers, and land developements. They have large tracts of land with-in city limits, that must be mowed a ccouple times a summer. On paper, this is a good source of business. payup :D

BUT....SOME (not all) realtors are unscrupulous, dishonest slimeballs..... They'll tell you whatever you want to hear, but come time to pay up, and they dissapear from the earth... :angry: :rolleyes: :blob3: :realmad:

When I work with a new account, I start off slow. Don't let them get too far into your pocket. :rolleyes: Once they proove to be reputable, honest business people, then you can trust them.... :dizzy: :D

From what I've seen though, a good many realtors are just used car salesmen without a car lot. :rolleyes:
  10. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have never done any work for them buy a good friend of mine has he said every once and a while he while get beat on a cleanup so he stopped doing them!