1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Real Estate Need Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by just Cuts, Jan 16, 2003.

1. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

My girlfriend thinks I should try to get accounts with Real Estate. Places like Century 21 , or Re/Max , you get the ideal. Anyone give me some ideals on how to go about this?
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Plenty of work but you will have to deal with property that has not been maintained in quite awhile and people who are slow to pay. I have done some work for agents in the past and above was true each time. I just used older equipment that could take the abuse of finding all kinds of "treasures" in the front lawn.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

can be unpredictable, for mowing a set schedule is best. but it would be better than say having a mower sit, in theory.
  4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I have dealt with a few realtors, and for the most part not been happy. They do not want to pay what you except, they always try to jew you down to nothing. If they do agree they are slow to pay or you have to chase them down at their convenience to collect. There are some reasonable ones out there but just have to find them. I do have one that I do work for that she never questions my prices, but it is a real hassle to get paid. I finally collected from her today from a clean-up I did alomost a month ago. I had to drive 15 miles to her home and then wait for half an hour for her to arrive. Oh well, just part of it, I guess. One word of advice, name your price, dont budge much, if they don't like it, walk away. Once you start lowering your prices, the word gets out then you are stuck.
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I would advise you to stay away from realtors and focus your energies on something that will actually be profitable...Realtors are cheap....They want to sell high but pay diddly squat....

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I work as a loan officer for a mortgage company. And realtors want to know why I'm charging 2.5% broker fee to do the loan for their client. When I could charge up to 5%, while they are getting 6% commision. Most are lower class than used car salesman. The majority of loan officers I know hold used car salesman in higher esteem than they do realtors. They are definatley a different breed.:blob2:
  8. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

As a group, they are not worth the agrevation. Aside from the info posted, you will struggle with the problems of their last minute needs. They also (as a group) provide few leads. Your efforts are best spent elsewhere. with regards... devildog
  9. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I agree fblandscape. Apparently some members need to watch what they type. Descriptions such as greenman's have no business even making it to the board. It's very offensive to people of the Jewish faith.....
  10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I have been there. Working with different realtors is a real PITA.
    I've had some that are really great tho too.
    The best way to go is to get info to a relocation director,if they have one.
    I did that in addition to working with a handful of agents.
    The RD is responsible for taking someone's property,because of a job change,and getting or keeping it kept up until sold. Same with foreclosures sometimes.
    While with agents you may have one or two sometimes the RD may have a lot more for you to maintain.
    It goes up and down too. Bad thing is that it can mess with other contract work you may have and your schedule.The cash flow can be listed as "feast or famine".;)
    I did this some years back for a RD in Tampa. She was really great tho. Most times I would have at least 10-12 properties in any given month to keep up. Most were in the middle-upper class areas. Good money also.
    Company sold out to Coldwell and we went our seperate ways.

Check into it. As for agents,what was stated above. Most is pretty close.
    The RD on the other hand has to follow different "guidelines".
    I'd hunt for an RD to hook up with before looking for individual realtors for work.
    JMO. :D