Real estate signs on the right of way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 27, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a commercial account that attracts real estate signs because there are several houses for sale behind the business. I noticed a guy looking angrily at me today because I bent one a bit with the trimmer. I would have had no problem apologizing to him if he had said something. They are a pain to trim around and they all ways seem to put the signs (including yard sale signs) on this property. They wouldn't dare put one on the funeral home next door (he would throw them in the dumpster I guarantee). This isn't a big problem but it just had me wondering if it's legal to put these on the right of way of a state hwy. Or even a county, city road. I'm a nice guy, I would gladly fix it but if he got smart I would like to know what the law is regarding right of ways and signs. Just wondering, not a big deal.
  2. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on your local town or county ordaninces.
  3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Dont feel like the lone ranger
    Ive got a property that dead ends from the interstate to the main rd thru town The local ordanice is basically you have to have property owners permission
    I usually pull up 2-3 yard sale signs every week (usually Thurs PM or Fri AM)
  4. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

I pull them. It's not their property. They don't have the right.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

yep. Yank them. If you want to be kind, you can call them and tell them they can come and pick them up if they like. Also, you need to to talk to the property owner. Explain to him that they are blight more or less, and besides that, they create more work and hassle for you. Let him know that these REALLY shouldn't be a permanent part of his landscape (which basically they are), and that you want to be a joint front to stop this on his property. Also explain to him that if he wants to continue to allow this, that you are going to have tp recoup the costs involved with the extra work and supplies. Trust me, he will side with you.
    If these guys want to be idiots afterward, and still put their signs up - basically thumbing their noses at you,...let them start losing signs. I don't play that crap on my properties.
    Another thing that has always been my pet peeve, is all these signs that get nailed up on telephone poles. If any sign goes up on a telephone pole on one of our sites, it automatically goes in the questions asked. As a matter of fact, I am just about ready to start a campaign and start cleaning all the poles off in our community. The only signs I leave, are the lost or found pets or people. I went to a township board meeting on this, and they are working on something to enforce this on a local basis. It IS already (technically) on the books in our state in our Michigan Vehicle Code, so this helps. Anyway, the township told me they would have NO problem with me stripping these off of poles throughout the area. As a natter of fact, they told me that if anyone had any quams over it, that they can call them. Now, I realize this is a little off subject, because you were talking about the free standing signs that stick in the round. But like we said, if they don't have your property owners permission, that is different.
  6. I like to see how much grass I can plaster them with.
  7. 04superduty

04superduty LawnSite Member

a guy up in GR tried to nail a sign to a telephone pole except he nailed through the protective cover over some power lines running down the side of the pole. he actually survived somehow.
    as to the real estate signs, i would check your local ordinances, more and more it is against the laws to put them up.
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I throw them in the dumpster. If they catch me before they go bye bye, they can have them.
  9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are into shooting guns they are great targets.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Check your local laws first. In the county I moved from it was illegal to put them up but it was also illegal to remove someone else's property without their permission. They call it theft.