Real scrub lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brickman, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Now I know this has been talked about alot, but bear with me. I saw a new twist on the scrubs way of hauling a mower. We have all seen the car trunks, the roof tops, the single wheel trailers tied solid to the bumper of a car............

Well yesterday I saw a new one. You know those receiver hitch type car carriers that slip into the hitch on a truck, or suburban. They are about 2' deep and as wide as the truck mounted on. Any way I saw a scrub that had his 21" WB up in there, and a trash can mounted on a hand cart to put the grass clippings in. I suppose the trimmer if he had one was in the suburban and a blower or rake if he was good enough to clean the side walks. I had to laugh when I saw this.

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

ever seen an atv with the 21" wb on the back and the trimmer on the front?

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be a new one for me. How about the bike with a trailer and mower, trimmer and broom sticking out of it and the dude pedalling up the street?

4. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

lol

actually most of the "scrubs" i see arent' actually in the busienss. I know lots of guys who own several properties and have to there mower across town somehow...

5. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I SAW A GOOD ONE A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. I WAS MOWING AT ONE OF MY ACCOUNTS, LOOKED OVER TO THE STREET AND SAW GUY WHO LOOKED LIKE GRIZZLY ADAMS WITH NO SHIRT DRIVING A CRAFTSMAN RIDER DOWN THE STREET. HIS LADY WAS FOLLING IN A OLD BEAT UP TRUCK. PROBABLY WAS CARRYING THE TRIMMER AND GAS. GOOD SHOW!

6. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I dont want to interrupt you're fun, but when you make fun of others it just makes you look bad yourself, try and give others a chance even if they cant be as cool as you.

clint

7. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

RVLI,something like this?:D

atv mower.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yea! or how about this one?
    an old rear engine rider and two real old 21" mowers with a cheap Homelite trimmer.

trailerandmowers.jpg

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hey wait a minute! that's my rig! I inherited the Toro rider (1989) and modified it up a bit, replaced the belts and piston rings, blade etc, and one of the 21" Toro self propelleds was given to me (1974) and starts first pull and has gobs of power, the other one is a 1982 and I got it for $30 looked like new with a like new bag, about $30 parts and some labor into it and it's as good as new. Very reliable mowers. The Homelite was given to me after a local LCO retired it its pretty new and about $30 into it and its going pretty good too. I only have a few yards and can't afford anything better than this for now, as i'm saving for a truck :D. I hardly ever at all fire up a 21" mower. Just for little areas like raised beds or areas where the 32" simply won't fit. But these areas are on 3/4 acre property where I mainly use the 32" mower. You wouldn't beleive the cut of this thing. I've never seen anything that looked so scrubbish and cut so good. My quality of work is very high and so is my work ethic. One time after mowing in the rain at a house a woman came home later that day and her son said "mom, he mowed in the rain!" she said "Well Shannon (her sons name), hes a dedicated kid!"
    So you can't judge an LCO by his equipment necessarily. Usually people like this do not have a large amount of customers to maintain. My customers lawns all look better than when I took over and my prices are good, nothing under $25 right now except a neighbor who gets the neighborly discount, down to $20 cause I don't have to go anywhere and it's flat out mow 'n trim. Some stuff is only to be trimmed every couple weeks. It is about a half acre or so so yes my price is quite low but when I started their lawn it was my first one and I let them dictate the price and the woman is so nice I can't raise it. She gives me a $5 raise about every year as it is. Yes it started at $10 using their stuff. Couple years ago, now i'm upto 20. I do it mainly as a favor, the money its a bonus. They are both elderly and love living in the country but can't do much because of their health. They couldn't stand to live in town. They love me like a great-grandson and I don't think I will be raising their price anytime soon.
    My point is just because you see someone who has their Craftsman in the back of their pickup or is riding it down the street, its not neccessarily a scum of the earth type person. At least they're working and not sitting around smoking and drinking while watching tv, floating off of welfare right? I laugh at them like you guys but I have a respect for them too.
    Its the work and reliability that counts not the mowers.
    Heres a pic showing the '74 one pull Toro SP mower. All I did was change the oil and put gas in it. I made a full length deck roller for it too :D I would rather have a roller on the newer one behind this one but its rear wheel drive and has a bagger and all so it wouldn't work well. I usually use the older one too because its more maneuverable, being front wheel drive, and alot lighter w/o the bagger and all.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh here i forgot the pic of the old mower.

1974toro21inchsp.jpg