REAL Steel Edging!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

In a world where plastic is king, where do I find the real old fashioned, unfinished, 3/16, heavy, cold, hard, steel edging:angry:??????????????

Im really thinking of going to the machine shop tomorrow and ordering steel!

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

John Deere Landscapes

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

what is that stuff like? They dont show it online and i would have to mail order it.

4. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

lowe's sells i believe 6' sections of green steel edging. its like $11 per piece.

5. SuperPROlawnScalper

SuperPROlawnScalper LawnSite Member

wouldn't the rigid steel strips be a bother with freeze thaw cycles?

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to a steel supply company and ordered it. They just cut it from big sheets of steel. Then I hired a friend to weld it on site too rebar stakes. We had no real issues with movement.

I used to see huge expansion and contraction on plastic edging from heat and cold when I used to be around plastic edging.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

col-met steel edging is fairly easy to find around where I live. Just have to call around a few landscape supply places to find it. Or maybe ask Col-Met for a local supplier.

http://www.colmet.com

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thanks. What is the thickest edging you guys have installed? The metal shop guy told me I wouldnt be able to bend 3/16 by hand.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The other stuff we use sometimes is this stuff called Dura Edge by JD Russell. It is quite a bit thicker (and pricier). We buy it at one of our local irrigation / landscape supply houses.

http://www.jdrussellco.com/

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member